Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My take is that they are a combination type set-up say pool and chiller and an aerator.

Pretty much right there. No chiller but need heat xchanger so you don't run pool water through GEO unit. The heating is done with separate ground xchanger or loop if you will.

Depends on loads, climate, ground temp, etc. Also must consider aggressive corrosion by pool water.

I'm not saying it can't be done, in fact its on my to-do list of things to try some day, but it isn't necessarily a slam-dunk

Quote Originally Posted by watercop View Post
    Depends on loads, climate, ground temp, etc. Also must consider aggressive corrosion by pool water.

I'm not saying it can't be done, in fact its on my to-do list of things to try some day, but it isn't necessarily a slam-dunk
    In Florida I can put a heat pump on a pool, run it for 24-48 hours on a 15 x 30pool, and it will be 104 degree's, that is a 3 1/2 ton heat pump, the guys at the pool supply house call them 3 /12 HP heat pumps though.

On pools we figure the heat gan/loss by the total surface area, it doesn't matter how deep it is.

So if you have a house with a 3 1/2 ton heat pump and run it using the water in the pool to cool the condenser, after a few days the pool will have reached the maximum temperature, then what are you going to do?

Pools do not have enough capacity, otherwise they would have already been using them.

I agree with all the post regarding pool water capacity, just not there.

How about the chemical treatments used in a swimming pool? Standard heat pump equipment would not tolerate the chemicals in the pool water.
    Local 30 New York, New York Operating Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by kdocsr05 View Post
    I agree with all the post regarding pool water capacity, just not there.

How about the chemical treatments used in a swimming pool? Standard heat pump equipment would not tolerate the chemicals in the pool water.
    It would have to use an heat exchanger, the pool heat pumps I sell and install have either a titanium heat exchanger or a coated exchanger, I prefer the titanium heat exchangers.

If pool chemistry is properly maintained (which they seldom are) it is not a concern though.

They use an aerator to "cool the pool".

Quote Originally Posted by teeball57 View Post
    They use an aerator to "cool the pool".
    How much heat can you dump aerating a pool?

This as well as the increased heat will cause water loss and increased chemical cost, not to mention making the pool too hot to use.

You will have to talk to Shasta Pools about that. Their idea, not mine.

I think with the heating load in Miami, there wouldnt be much of a problem..

I have to admit I have laughed when I am working on an air to air and the swimmming pool pump is roaring away next to it in the spring. House wants ac and the pool wants heat.

House wants ac and the pool wants heat.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    I have to admit I have laughed when I am working on an air to air and the swimmming pool pump is roaring away next to it in the spring. House wants ac and the pool wants heat.
    Thats funny!
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    In Florida I can put a heat pump on a pool, run it for 24-48 hours on a 15 x 30pool, and it will be 104 degree's, that is a 3 1/2 ton heat pump, the guys at the pool supply house call them 3 /12 HP heat pumps though.

On pools we figure the heat gan/loss by the total surface area, it doesn't matter how deep it is.

So if you have a house with a 3 1/2 ton heat pump and run it using the water in the pool to cool the condenser, after a few days the pool will have reached the maximum temperature, then what are you going to do?

Pools do not have enough capacity, otherwise they would have already been using them.
    the reason for the surface area is because the biggest heat loss from a pool is evaporation. I think the pool would have to be covered to hit the 104 myself
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    How much heat can you dump aerating a pool?

This as well as the increased heat will cause water loss and increased chemical cost, not to mention making the pool too hot to use.
    architects get creative sometimes and put a fountain in a pond to mimic a cooling tower
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast