+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using swimming pool as water source for heat pump AC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Question Using swimming pool as water source for heat pump AC?

Ok so this may be a VERY silly question but I do not know the answer so please bare with me.

I had a conversation the other day with a friend. He said it was possible to use the water in an in-ground swimming pool as a water source for a heat pump air conditioner? is this in fact possible?

I am sorry if this is a off the wall question but I'd really like to know.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Post Likes
    Moved to geo forum

Post Likes
    Sorry about that, I realized I posted it in the wrong section after I had posted. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Moved to geo forum

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by treepog View Post
    Ok so this may be a VERY silly question but I do not know the answer so please bare with me.

I had a conversation the other day with a friend. He said it was possible to use the water in an in-ground swimming pool as a water source for a heat pump air conditioner? is this in fact possible?

The pool will not have enough capacity, you will overheat the pool, by law a spa or pool can only be 104 degree's F max.

Post Likes

Red face

Try a septic tank lol.

Post Likes
    Went to a house once where the owner had avoided the considerable trouble and expense of drilling a well (couldn't do a ground loop) for his water source heat pump by using the swimming pool. . It was during the winter and the heat pump wasn't heating well. The swimming pool was a sheet of ice. After my "Here's your problem!" he insisted that it couldn't be the problem because there was still water in the pool. Out of curiosity I chipped through a couple inches of ice, found water, and of course it measured 32F. I suggested he contact the manufacturer and ask them how much heat the unit would produce using 32F water as a heat source. He got the expected response from them and ended up paying us to install 20KW of electric backup heat. He later paid us to install an air-to-air heat pump, after a winter of high electric bills.

Post Likes
    They use an aerator to "cool the pool".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teeball57 View Post
    They use an aerator to "cool the pool".
    How much heat can you dump aerating a pool?

This as well as the increased heat will cause water loss and increased chemical cost, not to mention making the pool too hot to use.

Post Likes

32degree ground water?

Quote Originally Posted by fxb80 View Post
    Went to a house once where the owner had avoided the considerable trouble and expense of drilling a well (couldn't do a ground loop) for his water source heat pump by using the swimming pool. . It was during the winter and the heat pump wasn't heating well. The swimming pool was a sheet of ice. After my "Here's your problem!" he insisted that it couldn't be the problem because there was still water in the pool. Out of curiosity I chipped through a couple inches of ice, found water, and of course it measured 32F. I suggested he contact the manufacturer and ask them how much heat the unit would produce using 32F water as a heat source. He got the expected response from them and ended up paying us to install 20KW of electric backup heat. He later paid us to install an air-to-air heat pump, after a winter of high electric bills.
    I don't know where this pool was located but I would guess a solar cover coupled with a low watt pump/heat exchanger would have made a big difference in that water. And some of the heated air generated in the bubble thru the day could have been pumped to his air/air heat pump.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinpadalino View Post
    Try a septic tank lol.
    Been done

Being done

Post Likes
    To the OP:

It is entirely possible to reject heat from a living space into a pool. I would strongly advise using a heat exchanger - do not run pool water through teh source side of a heat pump directly.

If you didn't use the space that often, you would likely be fine with the pool as a heat sink, capacity wise. That being said, the cost of the system would be quite a bit more (3x ?) than a traditional split DX system, that would only cost marginally more to operate. In other words - no payback here...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drsmith012 View Post
    COOL!

WRT pools. Wouldn't a lot depend on climate and ground temp?

WRT Payback. What solution for $3000 pool heating bill? I'm thinking this would probably be a separate part tied to dx or geo via plate xchng.

Post Likes
    I want to do this. As someone else pointed out above, it is slightly ridiculous to have a 3 ton heat pump roaring away, 2 feet from an also-roaring 100,000BTU natural-gas-fired pool heater.

The benefits would be:
    - The condensor fan could be turned off - would save about 1HP of electricity, which is not insignificant $$$;
    - No burning of natural gas at all. Also $$$$
    - alot quieter (the only thing making noise would be the pool's waterpump, and the refrigerant pump, wherever that is).

My plan is to splice in a heat exchanger just before the heatpump's condensor coils.

I have a liquid-liquid copper heat exchanger good for 300psi. R410 (or whatever) passes through one side of the exchanger, and poolwater through the other. There is obviously no mixing of the two fluids.

I want to leave the existing condensor coils intact, in case I decide to turn off the pool pump. This just means the R410 travels though an extra couple of feet of pipe before getting to the coils - I can't see this being a problem.

Overheating the pool: We're in a northern climate; I absolutely cannot see this happening, especially if the pool cover is left off overnight. In fact, I'll probably leave the gas-fired plumbed in, just in case.

Can anyone else see any other potential problems?
    Any good hints on how to splice in the heat exchanger? I think this would involve recovering/draining all the refrigerant, soldering in the exchanger, and refilling.

Post Likes
    In a warmer climate, with solar pool heaters........ You might have hit a niche market here Buck O ......... think about it. You have to be able to switch over to another source.... maybe.

Post Likes

pools

Currently being done by a contractor in phoenix. I am not privy to details but it is a big hit and performs well according to their installers that I have talked to. Here it is

http://www.dialcomfort.com/blu-eq-ge...ooling-system/
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses.

Is there a way to calculate how much water would be needed per hour of running the AC? The reason this topic came up for me is that I am looking for an inexpensive way to occasionally cool my shed/workshop not my home. I have a 30'x30' with 8' ceiling workshop at my home and I only use the workshop a couple hours at a time on the weekends.

Is there a way to calculate how much water you need? Or is it such a huge amount that it would heat a 15''x30' pool to over 100 degrees in two hours?? Just trying to get an idea exactly how ridiculous this idea is I guess

Post Likes
    Wasn't able to edit that last post...it's a 15' x 30' in ground pool.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    Currently being done by a contractor in phoenix. I am not privy to details but it is a big hit and performs well according to their installers that I have talked to. Here it is

http://www.dialcomfort.com/blu-eq-ge...ooling-system/

How many years have they been installing them?

Post Likes

years?

dont know but these guys get bug eyed and start drooling when talking about these systems. My take is that thay are a combination type set-up say pool and chiller and an aerator.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Hmm very interesting. If this person installed a long enough loop between the unit and the pool it might work. Lets say he installed an underground loop long enough to do the job but only used the pool for the water source and not for heat exchange. He would need 2 loops. 1 before the pool in the series so the ground would do the heat exchange without changing the temp of the pool. The 2nd would be after the pool in the series so the water temp could reach ground temp before entering the heat pump. With a couple of tweaks that might work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in