Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blackberry. Has GPS, internet, games and MP3.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Yikes, what a mess. Are you the run capacitor bandit? 120 miles of your helper organizing your van. Of course I shouldnt really talk mine is a complete wreck right now...

Seriously, though I would consider moving the Tomtom to the lower left hand side of the windshield. Its less noticeable for thieves and more in eye shot while driving. Mount the sat radio near it or up at the top. Then route the wires under the dash and up.

I have a Tomtom and Sirius with no visible wires. I even have the RDS-TMC traffic receiver for the Tomtom with its wire routed behind the A pillar and along the top of the windshield above the roof liner. I have a couple hat on my dash that I've slid up so you cant see the GPS at all from outside unless you are looking down on the van somehow....

You can see the wire for my Ipod but thats just because of the FM transmitter I bought. BTW. DLO FM Transmitter for an Ipod is the best you can get IMO. The wire it has isnt the prettiest but it powerful, I can find the clearest radio station and tune it too that and it will over power it and I'll get my Ipod music. Its great if you work in the city and there are no open stations for FM transmitters. In case anyone was in the market...

Quote Originally Posted by sprintmj19 View Post
    What is a "dual trunking scanner"?

If it's a scanner for police channels, that's a major violation most everywhere.
    A trunked radio system is one in which many users share a group of frequencies, rather than assigning a separate frequency to each user. It make more efficient use of the radio spectrum.

So a conversation can jump from one frequency to another; hence a special scanner (trunking) is needed to follow the conversation.

'Dual' refers to the fact that the scanner can monitor 2 types of trunking systems, such as Motorola and EDACS. There are others.

It is not illegal to monitor police communications as long as they are not encrypted. Several states (NY for one) prohibit having a scanner in a motor vehicle (only about 3 or 4).

While i roam the forums, my scanner (trunktracker4) is usually running.

Amp
    Last edited by ampulman; 12-31-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: add a bit

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    Blackberry. Has GPS, internet, games and MP3.
    I use an android phone, has it all, too. Pandora is great when you get sick of the music you already have. I think that have it for the BB.

HTC myTouch has all of that, too.

Just wish they made a charger/fm modulator combo. Have to take a break from satellite radio and listen to local stuff to charge my battery.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    HTC myTouch has all of that, too.

Just wish they made a charger/fm modulator combo. Have to take a break from satellite radio and listen to local stuff to charge my battery.
    I have a splitter for my phone (G1, the predecessor to the mytouch) from an old HTC phone I had. You can use a car charger and the headphone jack at the same time. I've got an aux input in my vehicle for it.

Only problem with internet radio is you need a data signal to keep going. Dead zones suck. I never got satellite radio because I always felt I'd be paying for channels I'd never listen to, kinda like with cable (500 channels and nothing on).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like that splitter. Must find one.

I switch to MP3 in dead spots.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

So get your ham radio license & if you're in NYS, you're allowed to have a scanner in your vehicle! Comparative piece of cake for anyone who can troubleshoot HVAC systems, and there are plenty of road warriors out during the day on any area's ham repeaters if you put a 2 meter or 2 meter/440MHz dual-band radio in your truck.

Written into state law (can't quote it, but it's there.) (Course it doesn't stop the cop who is convinced that he knows all from jacking you up even when he's wrong & doesn't know the exception).

Back on track: Sirius radio. Comedy channels save my sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    A trunked radio system is one in which many users share a group of frequencies, rather than assigning a separate frequency to each user. It make more efficient use of the radio spectrum.

So a conversation can jump from one frequency to another; hence a special scanner (trunking) is needed to follow the conversation.

'Dual' refers to the fact that the scanner can monitor 2 types of trunking systems, such as Motorola and EDACS. There are others.

It is not illegal to monitor police communications as long as they are not encrypted. Several states (NY for one) prohibit having a scanner in a motor vehicle (only about 3 or 4).

While i roam the forums, my scanner (trunktracker4) is usually running.
    Amp

Quote Originally Posted by argyle socks View Post
    I use an android phone, has it all, too. Pandora is great when you get sick of the music you already have. I think that have it for the BB.
    Just got pandora for my bb and wifes mytouch. Fricken awesome, thanks.
    "It's always controls"

I completely agree with the scanner and everything else as well. I also carry a mp3 player, scanner, and gps. Scanners are nice for traffic, weather etc. But just dont get pulled over by the LEO's with that or they might take your scanner.
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by KLEINman View Post
    Ipod, sirius, garmin nuvi, and just found a program for my bb to get free internet on my laptop....
    So what program you use for free internet?
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by skwsproul View Post
    Just got pandora for my bb and wifes mytouch. Fricken awesome, thanks.
    Pandora and mobile youtube only work for my BB if I have a wifi connection. I have nextel which is only 1g service, unlike Sprint that has 3g. Still can surf anywhere I have cell service.

BEWARE: DON'T INSTALL DYNOPLEX'S eOFFICE ONTO YOUR BB. I DID AND IT WAS LIKE A VIRUS. SCREWED MY BB UP AND LOST ALOT OF XLS FILES.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

I have an FM transmitter but it doesn't work well with my BB. I use a stereo jack adapter to take it down from 3.5M pin plug to 2.5m and I get a high pitch whine. Tried a few different jacks and different stereos at Radioshack with no luck. Didn't have that problem with my MP3 player.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast