Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Anyone else sick of doing overhauls

I bid 2 CVHE overhauls last month and both of them signed PO's, is anyone else getting tired of doing overhauls.I used to love the heavy work and rigging, not so much anymore. Must be getting old, rather trouble shoot something instead.
    Federal Reserve, stealing your kids futures since 1913

UA290

Well with all of the people out of work at least your working. My point is it could be worse.

I saw that coming a mile away.

I am thinking of just quiting altogether and letting the Demacraps take care or me.

Quote Originally Posted by acjourneyman View Post
    I bid 2 CVHE overhauls last month and both of them signed PO's, is anyone else getting tired of doing overhauls.I used to love the heavy work and rigging, not so much anymore. Must be getting old, rather trouble shoot something instead.
    The way I see it. It pays the bills. Maybe you need to train more apprentices, Have them do it for you.

Cane in 1 hand, Chainfall in the other

I agree with both points of view, I'm glad to be employed, just tired of pulling on wrenches. I am 59 years old and paying for what I did in the past. I have worked for several contractors including several factory groups. I am a highly skilled and knowledgeable technician and as you can see I am also quite humble. LOL Unfortunately I never was very good at office politics so I paid the price. I have seen many less skilled tech's move up into management and put away their tools as I wish I could have. This includes apprentices that I've taught. I guess this is a lesson we learn too late in life that has a bitter sweet taste to it. You are very good at what you do, but that's all you'll ever do. I have always enjoyed teaching my trade and passing on the knowledge and tricks of the trade, but I wish I could have kept my mouth shut at critical points in my career. Please note I'm not feeling sorry for myself just reflecting on things I would have changed in my past. Anyway wishing all of you on HVAC-TALK.COM a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY and PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR-GEO

It could be worse, you could have lost the bids and be sitting at home watching TV.

I don't work on chillers, but I know enough about them to know, I would rather do something other than overhaul them though.

After all those years of sweatin' blood for York, I'm now into my second year of my own business due to the fact that someone came along and screwed up a good thing. If you don't want the overhaul work, I'll be happy to sub it out (if you're close enough) - get all you can and call me!!!

And ga1279: don't feel rained on about the office politics thing - I was offered the area managers position once and they couldn't understand why I wouldn't take it. My reason confused them even more. I told 'em that everyone didn't necessarily look at moving into management as a step up. Maybe I have a screwed up way of seeing things, but my mama raised us on the saying that "It's a blessing to be able to work in the dirt". I have some other reasons to not want to be in management, but if I let them out, a lot of folks on this site would petition to have me removed.

I don't know? Seems to be good and bad in it all. I have been fortunate enough to be the overhaul guy when I was younger then move into corporate managment, then start my own business. I think corp. Mgmt was the worst. Nothing is more discouraging than to have your hands and feet tied and then told to go take over the world. Well maybe being issued responability without athority! I know suffering physicaly is easier than mentally. (for me anyway) even owning a business has a heavy price to pay but at least you have the freedom to do what makes sense. Now days I like doing the overhauls because I can just focus on that one thing! There is surely a blessing in only dealing with one job at a time mentally even if it's hard physicaly. It's kinda like the difference in hearding one cow or 200 yearlings, probably more money with the yearlings but allot more peace with just one. I think anyone who gets to make money doing somthing they love is the lucky one. I want to be a hunting and fishing guide when I grow up!!!????
    "Dying aint much, its living thats hard." (Josey Whales)

Like yourself I prefer troubleshooting over teardowns, but overhauls haven't got old yet. It does seem like everytime I turn around here lately they have sold another overhaul. Whatever pays the bills!

Umm It is inside. Your not shoveling snow to see the RTU. Your not worried about your ladder falling down. They do not call you at 1AM............

I will trade ya. Come look after 400 RTU's for me here in the 35 below Canada weather for 2 months and I will go do the overhauls!

i love doing overhauls, but i only get to be on 1-2 per year with some leak repairs in between. i have heard of large offices where they have an overhaul team...and that is all they do year round...not for me. i like a few every year and i especially like the ones where i get to go back year after year for maintenance. i love seeing those low purge minutes!

i can understand what you mean AC. as for you GA, i am more like you than i thought. i do not want any management roles. i love getting dirty. i would rather see a rebuilt chiller or leaks get fixed or a machine that NOW runs right instead of a pile of papers that i moved from the IN box to the OUT box by the end of the day. i sleep very well knowing that this world is a better place because of my hard work or that some apprentice learned something from me.

peace out everyone!
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    After all those years of sweatin' blood for York, I'm now into my second year of my own business due to the fact that someone came along and screwed up a good thing. If you don't want the overhaul work, I'll be happy to sub it out (if you're close enough) - get all you can and call me!!!

And ga1279: don't feel rained on about the office politics thing - I was offered the area managers position once and they couldn't understand why I wouldn't take it. My reason confused them even more. I told 'em that everyone didn't necessarily look at moving into management as a step up. Maybe I have a screwed up way of seeing things, but my mama raised us on the saying that "It's a blessing to be able to work in the dirt". I have some other reasons to not want to be in management, but if I let them out, a lot of folks on this site would petition to have me removed.
    Klove,, I like the way you think. Personally I would be happier pulling wrenches than sitting behind a desk and stressing over numbers.

A Good Place To Be

Thanks K-Love I knew this was was a Great site! Jayguy you are right, that is one thing that has always impressed my apprentices and customers, no matter how bad those purge minutes or cycles were, they are as close to "0" as could be when we finished. Footnote to deux-Yes, but you have never been called out to a site at midnight with a hurricane coming up the Gulf, we all have our pain-GEO

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast