PCOs and aldehyde production

Hey all, working on spec'ing out a new system for my house. We're going with a full Lennox system from a Lennox Premier dealer and have the PureAir in the spec.

I was reading tonight about PCOs that apparently produce more aldehydes than entered the system (the infamous berkeley study). I did a search across this site but didn't find much.

Does anyone have any news on the PureAir and whether or not there's problems with aldehyde production within the unit?

Thanks...

Jeff the byproducts that were produced during the Berkeley Study were from the ozone producing lamp they used to activate the catalyst and the low air speeds with a poor catalyst set up. Even so the amount of byproduct produced in their failed attempt of a PCO the byproducts produced in their study were in the parts per billion amounts and permissible allowable limit are measured in parts per million. What was measured were far below the allowable limits.
    We tried to reproduce the LBL results to no avail with the most challenging sample they had on the study and we used a far more credible lab to do the testing.
    The Lennox unit uses UVA lamps and their is no way it will produce byproducts. You wont get a very efficient reduction in biologics because of the UVA but the odor reduction should be fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    Jeff the byproducts that were produced during the Berkeley Study were from the ozone producing lamp they used to activate the catalyst and the low air speeds with a poor catalyst set up. Even so the amount of byproduct produced in their failed attempt of a PCO the byproducts produced in their study were in the parts per billion amounts and permissible allowable limit are measured in parts per million. What was measured were far below the allowable limits.
    We tried to reproduce the LBL results to no avail with the most challenging sample they had on the study and we used a far more credible lab to do the testing.
    The Lennox unit uses UVA lamps and their is no way it will produce byproducts. You wont get a very efficient reduction in biologics because of the UVA but the odor reduction should be fabulous.
    Great, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

I would like to see some actual test results that indicate those levels.

What substrate was used, what are the dimensions. Are the parameters 'Apples-to-Apples'?

From my observations, the substrate in the Sun-Pure models are 1" thick honeycomb, the other units are a swamp cooler type material being less than 1/8" thick. that being said, DWELL TIME on the PCO substrate is longer on the Sun-Pure model, than the Other models.

Any help in this matter would be greatly informative.

Thanks!

You would be better served with a proper fresh air ventilation and a merv 11 air filter than trying to oxidize the pollutants in your home. A fresh air change in 4 to 5 hours when on occupied to purge the indoor pollutants and renew oxygen is primary. Next maintain <50%RH throughout the home to eliminate mold and dust mites in the home.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Was this response not already posted earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    You would be better served with a proper fresh air ventilation and a merv 11 air filter than trying to oxidize the pollutants in your home. A fresh air change in 4 to 5 hours when on occupied to purge the indoor pollutants and renew oxygen is primary. Next maintain <50%RH throughout the home to eliminate mold and dust mites in the home.
    Regards TB
    I am asking for a response to my question, not to your earlier response.

Thank you.