Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    in a tree looking in your window
    Posts
    1,165

    Doc wants to shoot some stuff into my knee

    Well the ol Doc tells me the cartilage is gone in my right knee, I am to young (47) for a knee replacement and that there is some stuff called Synvisc that he can shoot directly into my knee that will supposedly lubricate and cushion the area between the two bones that are now rubbing together.

    Anyone here tried this snake oil and did it work, sounds rather painful to me, I guess first they suck out any fluid from your knee than shoot this stuff in there, kind a like Great Stuff.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,673
    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

    Ask him for the upsides and downsides.

    One time treatment or continuing commitment?

    Also ask if simple physical therapy can help.

    And, ask
    side effects that half the people suffer?
    side effects that 10% of the people suffer?

    Don't ask for the 1% side effect level for procedures/drugs because it is a laundry list of every possible ailment known to man.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence-based_medicine

    My wife went to one of the Lasik centers for a consult and I saw their handouts.
    The likelihood of a bad result is 4% or so, but when it is bad, it can be very bad.
    I have given up all thoughts of getting this procedure myself, if I ever had any thoughts of getting it. I'll get prescription sports goggles [~$200] if I need good vision in a street-fight environment.

    This book
    http://www.amazon.com/Last-Well-Pers...1096394&sr=1-1
    is an eye-opener.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    san jose,ca.
    Posts
    5,285
    It`s a fancy name for WD-40

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    in a tree looking in your window
    Posts
    1,165
    WD-40 ? I am thinking it will take PB Blaster to get the damn thing working right.

    They shoot my knee once a week for 3 weeks and it is supposed to last 6 months, I dont know, but something about a big needle into the joint of my knee doesnt sound to fun. Of course me being a pussy about needles dont help things much.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Skokie , IL near chicago
    Posts
    1,134

    Thumbs down no way

    Quote Originally Posted by chillrdude View Post
    Well the ol Doc tells me the cartilage is gone in my right knee, I am to young (47) for a knee replacement and that there is some stuff called Synvisc that he can shoot directly into my knee that will supposedly lubricate and cushion the area between the two bones that are now rubbing together.

    Anyone here tried this snake oil and did it work, sounds rather painful to me, I guess first they suck out any fluid from your knee than shoot this stuff in there, kind a like Great Stuff.
    my wife took out her knee showing some kids how to dance at a wedding and tried everything for a year 'till the only thing left was the knee replacement . to answer your post , the Synvisc did not work for her , not even a little bit....the replacement wasn't as bad as you would expect as they have a new way to do it that heals faster and the rehab was not bad . a few uncomfortable days , lots of ice , and the worst is over. i'm sure also your'e younger than my wife and it wont be so bad...........good luck............Jack

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Skokie , IL near chicago
    Posts
    1,134

    add on......

    Quote Originally Posted by rojacman View Post
    my wife took out her knee showing some kids how to dance at a wedding and tried everything for a year 'till the only thing left was the knee replacement . to answer your post , the Synvisc did not work for her , not even a little bit....the replacement wasn't as bad as you would expect as they have a new way to do it that heals faster and the rehab was not bad . a few uncomfortable days , lots of ice , and the worst is over. i'm sure also your'e younger than my wife and it wont be so bad...........good luck............Jack
    o yeah , you will not get through a metal detector at a security checkpoint without a doctors note as the knee is a large hunk of metal and plastic , and you'll need a temp handycap sticker as you'll be on crutches for a while.......Jack

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,673
    http://www.rxlist.com/synvisc-drug.htm
    Look on the 3rd page for side effects, but all the pages in this link have something to tell you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,326
    When i was in my teens, I played ice hockey competitively, raced motocross, played fottbal and baseball. broken bones, scrapes, etc. As I got older, I developed things that just werent right. My ankles crack sometimes while i walk, my knees do the same. When I ski these days, it can be very painfull on the knees. climbing ladders somtimes gets to them as well. Went to a really good doc and had my knees looked at since the little woman didnt believe they couldbe that bad (kept me up all night sometimes in pain). At any rate, shot the knees with with of them fancy machines and took xrays. There is little to no miniscus left according to doc. He offers me a few options, first option cortisone shots but recommends against it. Second, " an artificial squirt in miniscus" I forgot the name, but recommended against it. In short, too young to mess with the knees in his opinion. option three, but I hate him for not writing me a prescription for this one....do you drink? why yes doc i do. When they hurt real bad, drink some of your favorite, what do you like? Well, jack daniels. Yea, keep that handy. I have learned to tolerate it, and by doing some leg work with weights, you can strengthen the muscles around the knee area for better support. It has worked for me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    888

    Hmm My arthritus

    Quote Originally Posted by chillrdude View Post
    WD-40 ? I am thinking it will take PB Blaster to get the damn thing working right.

    They shoot my knee once a week for 3 weeks and it is supposed to last 6 months, I dont know, but something about a big needle into the joint of my knee doesnt sound to fun. Of course me being a pussy about needles dont help things much.
    Shoots up the base of both of my thumbs with cortisone about once every 6 months. The injections do have me screaming for Jesus. But the injections allow me to work.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cool4us View Post
    Shoots up the base of both of my thumbs with cortisone about once every 6 months. The injections do have me screaming for Jesus. But the injections allow me to work.
    Ahhh, god... I'm going to have nightmares about this thread! I remember how weirded out I was when I saw them remove a cup of fluid from my grandpa's knee. Not so much because of the needle, just the fact of what they were doing.

    Getting an injection into a joint? Yeesh! The base of a thumb... OMG, I can handle pain pretty good but I think they'd have to strap me down to do that
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    san jose,ca.
    Posts
    5,285
    Here`s 1 for you to think about.
    4 weeks ago i went into the hospital, they lay me on a hospital operating bed & stick a niddle in my vain.
    Next thing i know i`m in the recovert room & the nurses are waking me up.
    Doc. comes in & says I had to operate on your lower spine & you now have a hole in your spine as big as a eye socket. He says i couldn`t stich it up as it hase to heal from the inside out.
    Every day i have to have the packing removed & then restuffed with new guese, I feel like a turky does when it gets stuffed..
    He say`s 2 months to heal.
    O YA,, I just finished a cut in with permiter crawl space runs, heat & a/c
    O ya,i`ll be 68 in feb. Not to bad for an old bast--d.
    PS: I had NO help with the install either.

    I have never typed this much in my whole life before, i better take a nap.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    in a tree looking in your window
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    http://www.rxlist.com/synvisc-drug.htm
    Look on the 3rd page for side effects, but all the pages in this link have something to tell you.
    Good info there, Thanks

    I have been doing some reading up on this and it seems like it is about 50/50 whether it works or doesnt, some people swear by it and others at it.

    Being a one man show does not leave me a whole lot of options, Doc said I would be off at least six weeks if he replaced the knee, that is impossible for me.

    I dont think I could sit there and watch him take a big ol needle to my knee without jumping out of my skin, guess I will just deal with it the way it is.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Dallas,Texas
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by rojacman View Post
    o yeah , you will not get through a metal detector at a security checkpoint without a doctors note as the knee is a large hunk of metal and plastic , and you'll need a temp handycap sticker as you'll be on crutches for a while.......Jack
    I have a rod and screws from the knee to ankle in one leg. It sets off every metal detector. Never had a note or x-ray with me. They just pull you aside, ask you what you have and hand wand you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event