I got a question concerning fireplace installation in winter.

Tomorrow there are people coming to install a fireplace and chimney, they are going to install it through a hole they will make in the roof.

My question is, is it safe? I don't want any complication come spring time. Is it common practice to install in winter? Tomorrow it will be about -19C, i don't want the workers to half ass the work because they are feeling cold, it is my house and roof we are talking about. Or i don't want the adhesive they would use to be half as effective as in summer, this resulting in damage later,Water leaking and stuff like that.

Any knowledgeable people who can help me out on this I am a little worried. Should i reschedule for a spring/summer job?

First, did you get references from the contractor, & did you follow up? Did you get a warrantee that covers the roof penetration? If not, get it before they start. -19 can be difficult to seal a roof, but a good roofer can do it.

I will call about the warranty tomorrow. References in Canada are as good as a dealer ship's word. I googled about the shop, they have a website and all, but i didn't get any customer testimonial. They assure me they do this a lot in winter, and that i should not be worried about leaking.

Here is the site, for anyone who recognizes it: http://decorchaleurchateauguay.com/

Get everything in writing !!! If you are concerned, then wait til Spring.

They called this morning and said it was to cold, as i suspected. That is a good sign from them. They said -10 is ok but today is way to cold for the instruments.

Instruments = fingers

The wind was strong to lol... I can't imagine anyone working in these conditions.

Next Thursday it will be -4, that is a much more realistic temperature. I will schedule for that day.