Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing AC Unit

Sizing AC Unit - Whole House or Zone???

We have just had our heating/cooling system zoned into 4 zones using a Honeywell Trol-A-Temp system. We are considering replacing the AC unit which is a 3.5 ton unit with a smaller one. I used the HVAC Calc Residnetial software(Great Program - Very Intuitive and Easy to Use) and came up with a total heat gain for the building as 33,789. The largest heat gain in any of the zones is 16,300. How do we size the AC unit? Since there is a foyer, there will be heat flow between the zone.

Thank you for the help.

[Edited by fmwaz on 05-17-2001 at 11:25 AM]

more information

Hi, I believe there is one more piece of information I would like to add here. I spoke to fmwaz on the phone and he told me that the way the duct zoning works with this system is only one zone gets air at a time and the dampers are down at the furnace essentially blocking off 2 zones as one gets fed. I am not up on the Trol-A-Temp system but if this is correct, I would be concerned about putting in a 3 ton because there wouldn't be enough air flow over the coil. Can somebody with experience with the Trol-A-Temp system please reply and give me an education on how it works?

Thanks

don
    don sleeth - HVAC-Talk Founder
    HVAC Computer Systems
    Heat Load Calculation Software

Smile Trol-A-Temp

Originally posted by Don Sleeth
    Hi, I believe there is one more piece of information I would like to add here. I spoke to fmwaz on the phone and he told me that the way the duct zoning works with this system is only one zone gets air at a time and the dampers are down at the furnace essentially blocking off 2 zones as one gets fed. I am not up on the Trol-A-Temp system but if this is correct, I would be concerned about putting in a 3 ton because there wouldn't be enough air flow over the coil. Can somebody with experience with the Trol-A-Temp system please reply and give me an education on how it works?

Thanks

don
    I'v never worked on the trol-a-temp system but try this website http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/.
    Dave

zone

zoning is basicly, a themostat controls each zone.
    1 2 3
    I'm concered when people want to change there units.
    what if you want all zone's on the 3.5 cooled it all
    if you drop to a 3 ??
    i do get much work for this but have some ask an will
    be getting into it more.

Hmm

If his zone system shuts down all zones but one at a time, he's got problem with it. Just as Dependsaservice said the unit is controlled by a master thermostat and the other stats control dampers.
    "FIGHT CRIME: SHOOT BACK"

Each stat can bring on the equipment and open the damper for that zone. It is possible for a 3.5 ton unit to be feeding a duct designed for a fraction of that. Therefore, if properly installed, a bypass damper is used to return the excess back to the A/C. With Trol-a-temp's newest panels, they have a thermistor that goes in the supply and monitors for overheat or near freezing conditions to shut off the equipment before a coil freezes or a furnace cycles on limit. If the system does not have a bypass or the Zonemax sensor isn't used, he will have problems.

As for his gain, seems to me he has a 3 ton heat gain and when the A/C is changed, it should be to a 3 ton.

ah, that makes sense

Thanks Baldloonie, the bypass damper was the piece of the puzzle I was missing. With that in place, then yes a 3 ton is what's called for or even save the expense and go with the existing 3.5 if it is a good working unit. His contractor was suggesting a smaller unit, I think because of the air flow, so I hope he was aware of the bypass damper. If he wasn't, I am sure he will be shortly

don

Originally posted by r22d22
    Read
    Read What ?

Originally posted by bb
    Read
    Read What ?
    Still lost yet again, but I can relate to your bio. in your profile.

Hey, I like ideas, I even get a couple now and then. What's yours.

Originally posted by bb
    Read
    Read What ?

bb and lynn rodemayer don't know what to read.
    (nothing)
    A windows macro cause me to submit some strange entries without knowing it. But the replies were deliberate.
    This gives me a great ideal.
    Windows macro? Or drugs?

Hey Mr. Smith. Which company do you work for? If you don't want to say, just reply bug off.

"bb and lynn rodemayer don't know what to read.
    (nothing)"

This is logically incorrect. What your are saying here is BB and Lynn know what to read. (everything)

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast