Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks for the insight. I will post some industrial questions for you guys to pick over. Thanks. What about the Doolins answer to the volt meter? A simple light bulb. We have been waisting our money on Flukes all of these years!

Doolin is good, if you need to service a system with a hair brush and a ice pick

Originally posted by James 3528
    Doolin is good, if you need to service a system with a hair brush and a ice pick
    LOL. You must have the new edition! I don't recall the hair brush.

Hey, no problem, 404. Post away, man. No question is dumb.

Doolans has got to be one of the worst books out there. With just a glance at it 20 some yrs ago you could tell it was useless. Yet guys reccomend it, I have no idea why.

I've got one, somewhere. It was highly recomended to me also
    (years ago) I flipped through it once and that was it.

Originally posted by absrbrtek
    Doolans has got to be one of the worst books out there. With just a glance at it 20 some yrs ago you could tell it was useless. Yet guys reccomend it, I have no idea why.
    I would never suggest anyone buy those scribblings.

I went off on that thing in 404's other thread and r12 was busting on me about liking Doolin's.

If anyone else misunderstood me, Doolin's is a dangerous waste of money. Yes, Dangerous.

Angry Doolan

Why wasn`t he stopped?

No telling how many have died.

"OK, Boy, now you hold onto these two live wires and when I say "GO!", I want you to touch them to those little posts on the side of that compressor. By the way, don't touch the live wires or the compressor, 'cause it might be shorted to ground. If you see a big flash of light, change the compressor. If'n it runs, don't move, but holler real loud and I'll kill the wires! That means your thermostat is shot."

Where're the two guys with the rusty pickup, the rope and the rooftop unit??? Bet THEY'RE Doolin fans!

Originally posted by absrbrtek
    This is great. I remember I got one on a recomendation and while I don't remember what was in it exactly, I still remember it was funny restroom reading material. It was good for another troubleshooting use while in there as well.

Sad thing is, look how many of us spent 60 bucks on that hunnk of sh!t.

There might be enough of us to file a class action suit.

This sight is the best learnin aid ive found in a long time.
    It makes me read and dig more for answers and furnishes
    good trade knowlage.

Dave, Thoughs guys work here in my town, Ive seen them.

Damn this is gettin' OUTA HAND ....

Now Dave .... I havent read a Doolins in YEARS!!! And No I do NOT remember any such stuff about holding two live wires to the compressor and turning on a hair dryer and flipping a thermostat while your yelling for someone to turn onthe power! Phew!!!

No way!!!

404, Buy a Fluke. Buy a couple of Flukes !!! Thats what we all do!
    Have a back up.

Man oh man ... this is gonna escalate like Dice's 9mm... all over that darned Doolin's book!

And hey, if anyone wants a good topic for a class action suit, how about the demise of real refrigerants as sanctioned by the EPA?!?!?

Cool I paraphrased. It's the same basic advice, though.

As for Flukes, well, aside form redheads, they're my one true weakness.

Got lots of them going alllll the way back to the old pushbutton true RMS with the red LED display... Still works, too.

I carry a 189 and a 54-II in my troubleshooting bag, along with an 80i-600 clamp. I have Flukeview forms in the laptop, and just love to use it.

I've got a Fluke in every bag, right down to the T5-600 keeping my tin tools company, just because you just plain never know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast