Glass doors on gas fireplace - open or closed?

I would like an opinion...I have been enjoying my gas logs for the last 12 years but have never really gotten a answer as to whether I should open or close the doors...why or why not?

Thanks!
    B-

Anything is possible with God

Fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency - F. Leghorn

Ain't I a stinker - B. Bunny

\m/ (>.<) \m/ ROCK HARD!!

With most gas log sets the doors should always be open, there are a few though that are approved to run with them shut. Would not know without having a manual for them.

Exclamation

All gas logs should be burned with the doors WIDE open even if a mfr tells you they are approved for closed doors. It is still an open hearth fireplace which is susceptible to aerodynamics. If you close the doors, the flames pull towards the glass where it can impinge and shatter the glass. Even if this doesn't happen, it can severely distort the flames.

If you crack the doors open partially, it can draw fumes and heat into the space.

Those logs "approved" for use with closed doors simply have a hi limit switch to shut them down if it gets too hot around the valve area. However, it can easily get too hot in one place and be 100 degrees cooler or hotter just inches away. Those valves are typically rated for 175F, which ain't much inside a fireplace. Closing the doors increases firebox temps, which can heat stress these valves causing premature failure.

Thanks for the info!!
    B-

Anything is possible with God

Fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency - F. Leghorn

Ain't I a stinker - B. Bunny

\m/ (>.<) \m/ ROCK HARD!!