Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okay to paint inside of a return?

My hallway ceiling was painted a dark grey about a month ago. Since I was able to see the wood of the very economically designed "joist bay HVAC return" through the register, I decided to paint the inside if the return as well with the ceilings Benjamin Moore Acrylic Latex Flat.

I was told doing this shouldn't pose any health risks. Has anyone ever painted the inside of a return before?

Regards,
    Chris

Paint will off gas and that does bother certain people and in reality isnt good for anyone. But if you think about it, the hallway you painted those fumes get pulled through that return anyway.

So in essence its no worse to paint the inside of that return as it is to paint the house. So you'll be fine.

On new installs we'll paint the inside of returns that you can sometimes see into black just so you cant see metal or the backside or drywall or whatever....

Ditto what CynicX said. A flat black paint is what I would use. Just turn off the furnace before you paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris75 View Post
    My hallway ceiling was painted a dark grey about a month ago. Since I was able to see the wood of the very economically designed "joist bay HVAC return" through the register, I decided to paint the inside if the return as well with the ceilings Benjamin Moore Acrylic Latex Flat.

I was told doing this shouldn't pose any health risks. Has anyone ever painted the inside of a return before?

Regards,
    Chris
    Does your system have an evaporator coil in the air handler. You might want to search the site for "evaporator corrosion".

There seems to be an epidemic of evaporator failures and one of the theories is thinner tubing along with tighter homes and VOC's in the air.

I doubt your paint will cause a problem but you might want to give it a few days to cure.

i have painted returns before ...... no problems or compliants.

our local builders regularly spray the insides of the ceiling returns with popcorn as they are spraying the ceilings.
    It won't hurt anymore than paint elsewhere in the house. Flat paint in the duct may collect dust at a faster rate than the rest of the ceiling because of all the airflow across it.

Is it customary to install ceiling returns with the vanes pointing upward? Mine are. Can't see inside.

Amp

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    Is it customary to install ceiling returns with the vanes pointing upward? Mine are. Can't see inside.

Amp
    Typically everything is done to avoid being able to see into the return. But if its mounted on the CEILING (not on a high wall) then moving from one side to the other will let you see into the return. Or if the you have a loft or other open floor plans sometimes you cant see into the return from down stairs on a wall but you can looking down from upstairs...

Thanks for all your reply's!

Ever since I painted the inside of the return, I've been bothered by a sweet nauseating smell that fills the condo whenever the heat kicks on. I can't say it with absolute certainty that the paint is the cause of the odor, but if it is, I was hoping that a month later the smell would have gone away.

My wife doesn't notice it, but then again her nose if about a 3rd the size of mine.

There's been a lot of plaster sanding going on prior to painting my whole place, is it possible that could have affected the mechanics of the furnace? I only turned the HVAC on after the place was cleaned and vacuumed.

FYI the compressor is located outside so I'm assuming the evaporator coils are out there too.

Cool

Thanks for all your reply's!

Ever since I painted the inside of the return, I've been bothered by a sweet nauseating smell that fills the condo whenever the heat kicks on. I can't say it with absolute certainty that the paint is the cause of the odor, but if it is, I was hoping that a month later the smell would have gone away.

My wife doesn't notice it, but then again her nose if about a 3rd the size of mine.

There's been a lot of plaster sanding going on prior to painting my whole place, is it possible that could have affected the mechanics of the furnace? I only turned the HVAC on after the place was cleaned and vacuumed.

FYI the compressor is located outside so I'm assuming the evaporator coils are out there too.
    Your condenser coil is outside. Your evaporator coil is usually inside connected to your air-handler or furnace. Check your filter to see if it is dirty, or just change it. Some paint my have gotten to it. Not likely but anything is possible.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

I actually replaced the filter right after my place was painted and recently inspected it and it looked okay.

Is it possible that there's something wrong with the evaporator coil and could it be that I'm smelling ethylene glycol? It almost makes sense to me now since the smell is sweet. Is there a test that I can perform to see if the culprit is indeed the evaporator coil?

Quote Originally Posted by CynicX View Post
    Typically everything is done to avoid being able to see into the return. But if its mounted on the CEILING (not on a high wall) then moving from one side to the other will let you see into the return. Or if the you have a loft or other open floor plans sometimes you cant see into the return from down stairs on a wall but you can looking down from upstairs...
    Mr error. I said ceiling; it's on the wall near the ceiling.

Amp

Hopefully that's a good thing

Take care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast