Fireplace smoke condition.......

I have two fireplace in my home, on in the den and one in an upstairs bedroom(above the den). They have separate flues. The problem, when having a fire downstairs, the upstairs bedrooom "sometims" becomes smokey. First thing we did was put fireplace doors on, that helped a little but today it was smokey. Since this front room is to becomes my son's room, we won't be using the fireplace for a while. Could some one please point me in the right direction on how to remedy this problem or where to start. THANKS!

These are wood, right? Sounds like not enough air in your house to provide proper venting for the fireplace. Try an open window when using one of the fireplaces. If it works, you need make-up air (for the fire to burn) without bringing air down the other flue.

Good point Moose seen the same conditions several times in the past few years. Had a hotel this year with 8 fireplaces, they would light off one fireplace and get smoke in several rooms. Building make-up air was shut down due to a bad motor. Fixed the MAU all is normal
    Local 30 New York, New York Operating Engineer

First thanks for the replies. Yes, it is a wood fireplace. I will try this approach. Since we will not be using the upstairs fireplace, what are your thoughts on using a draft pillow that inflates in the flue thus sealing it? Thanks!

Probably a good idea. I haven't used one, (or seen one) except in ads. Still think main issue is lack of make-up air. An open fireplace uses a lot of air.. even when not being used (to keep the flue warm), or it can become the make-up air duct. (when the building is depressurised).