Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultra boiler

Quote Originally Posted by farbeondriven View Post
    Intresting but even if there is iron in the water its still a closed system and those minerals will not get worse over time. Unless the system is being purged or drained frequently. Iron/minerals aren't gonna be corrected by using galvanized piping but rather by water treatment. Not tryin to be a smarty but I cant say I agree with your thoughts on galv. over blk.
    Yah it will !
    So, you don't think that a flow of water through a Iron pipe is going to build up Iron in the system ! Iron tainted water is going to become more and more a abrasive which eventually starts to effect the inner parts of a new style boiler. Trust me ! I've changed lots of pumps, sensors, and heat exchangers

I do agree that you should use treated water in the system tho

i know of noone who uses galv pipe for heating anywhere especially in small resi jobs its usually black or copper and if he added chemical it would take care of the crap in the water

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Check with a board certified boiler inspector and ask if galv is allowed.

Why would you use galv? It costs more, and if you add glycol, you have big problems. (glycol reacts with zinc.)

The only way you have problems with black, is if you keep adding fresh water, ie; dissolved O2.

Go look at a fifty year old system and tell me what the pipes look like.

This is hydronics 101.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by viessmann View Post
    nice attitude on the pump !! every manufacturer we use has a cross through the picture of a pump that is installed like that

Well If there taco pumps you better look at the directions again. Only wrong position is cartriage down.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper78 View Post
    Yah it will !
    So, you don't think that a flow of water through a Iron pipe is going to build up Iron in the system ! Iron tainted water is going to become more and more a abrasive which eventually starts to effect the inner parts of a new style boiler. Trust me ! I've changed lots of pumps, sensors, and heat exchangers

I do agree that you should use treated water in the system tho
    Thanks for the input but I still dont agree
    Water flowing thru a iron pipe will not build iron in the system to point of failure unless air or bad water conditions are present to cause oxidation. I dont think black iron piping is the problem with all the parts your changing out unless your initial water conditions are deplurable and the system is doing alot of refilling.

Quote Originally Posted by farbeondriven View Post
    Thanks for the input but I still dont agree
    Water flowing thru a iron pipe will not build iron in the system to point of failure unless air or bad water conditions are present to cause oxidation. I dont think black iron piping is the problem with all the parts your changing out unless your initial water conditions are deplurable and the system is doing alot of refilling.
    I know galvanized pipe isn't the end all to be all, copper is the better product. I'd rather us galvanized pipe in situation like the job in the pic (water job), so lets just agree to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by rich pickering View Post
    Check with a board certified boiler inspector and ask if galv is allowed.

Why would you use galv? It costs more, and if you add glycol, you have big problems. (glycol reacts with zinc.)

The only way you have problems with black, is if you keep adding fresh water, ie; dissolved O2.

Go look at a fifty year old system and tell me what the pipes look like.

This is hydronics 101.
    Most jobs in my area have fresh water feeds and I have opened up fifty year old systems and most of the times the water is blacker then black (you wouldn't want water like that in a new boiler).
    I know what happens when you mixes galvanized pipe with glycol, I was assuming that was a water system

Nice work!!

Just a couple notes:

Backflow preventer??

next time try a Spirovent instead of the old school air scoop

I noticed serveral small boiler system posted on here that do not use di-electric fittings when going from steel to copper. Is it just not an issue with small systems or does it just take to long for the dissimilar metals to rot things that no one cares?

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    It's not an issue even on large systems.

Nice work, don't get many boiler replacements just keep nursing the old stuff around here.
    "Can't see it from my house"

The taco up top is fine according to Taco, they only require that you maintain 20psi on the system to try and help keep air from trapping at the top bearing. Least that's what they told me at the factory.

The back flow preventer is a must.

Copper to black pipe will only corrode if there is constant fresh water being brought into the system. I've seen many times more corrosion and damage done to a system that wasn't flushed of soldering flux and junk before being signed off as done.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Check post #4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast