Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Manufacture Service Rep

I have been kinda offered a position to be a regional service rep for a major manufacture. I would take about 10k deduction in pay to start but the benefits are much better. I am going to sit down with the regional manager this week.

Just wondering if anyone else on here holds such a position and what they like and dislike about it. Also I'm worried about losing my game, being that I won't be in the field that much and just dealing with one manufactures equipment.

It's sales.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Quote Originally Posted by secorp View Post
    It's sales.
    Not this position. They have territory mangers that do that. My job work be training, on site diagnostic for dealers, and tech support.

I would imagine you would still have the opportunity or potential for sales. I would work it into your package just in case, you sell a job you get some of that 10 grand back.

I would also imagine you will come across many bad techs that will try to throw you under the bus. I knew one carrier rep that always would ship 30lbs freon to a system that only held 9, he said it was not worth the fight and just let the gas go. also many. many bad compressors that were not bad.

The 10K cut you'll never make up. Ive talked myself into that I'm making less but the potential and benefits are better, it never pans out. You'll be dealing with alot of clueless people in the field. Their are lots of them out there, all wanting warranty on the "junk" equipment they installed wrong.

You will lose your edge. I did when I was in management for 5 years. It took me about 3 months and lots of reading to get caught back up.

From reading your posts you sound kinda like myself. You like the challange, a new problem to diagnose, something outside the norm. If you are like that, you will get bored to tears seeing the same issues from the same manufacturer, day in and day out. Been there, done that, never again. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    Not this position. They have territory mangers that do that. My job work be training, on site diagnostic for dealers, and tech support.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Get used to this...

"Where do I put the Yellow wire?"
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    The 10K cut you'll never make up. Ive talked myself into that I'm making less but the potential and benefits are better, it never pans out. You'll be dealing with alot of clueless people in the field. Their are lots of them out there, all wanting warranty on the "junk" equipment they installed wrong.

You will lose your edge. I did when I was in management for 5 years. It took me about 3 months and lots of reading to get caught back up.

From reading your posts you sound kinda like myself. You like the challange, a new problem to diagnose, something outside the norm. If you are like that, you will get bored to tears seeing the same issues from the same manufacturer, day in and day out. Been there, done that, never again. JMHO
    gosh your grumpy sometimes.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Those are my fears. I'm still going to sit down with him and see whats it's all about. Have a meeting thursday. Will keep ya posted.

For sure do the interview, they are life experiences that you just can not get otherwise. some of my worst and best interviews have taught me much. I have an interview myself tomorrow. the job is way beyond me, still I am going for the experience.

Well?

Those are my fears. I'm still going to sit down with him and see whats it's all about. Have a meeting thursday. Will keep ya posted.

Well?
    I sat down with the regional manager. We talked for almost 2 hours. After really finding out what this job entails, I think it's up my alley. (It's mostly technical training)

I had to submit a resume. (lol....never had one.....always got my jobs from word of mouth) I just got a call from HR, to setup a over the phone interview.

I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm up against 5 others that already kinda work for the company. I'm the outsider that got his foot in the door, because of who I know.

Sometimes new blood is better than dead wood. JMHO
    I sat down with the regional manager. We talked for almost 2 hours. After really finding out what this job entails, I think it's up my alley. (It's mostly technical training)

I had to submit a resume. (lol....never had one.....always got my jobs from word of mouth) I just got a call from HR, to setup a over the phone interview.

I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm up against 5 others that already kinda work for the company. I'm the outsider that got his foot in the door, because of who I know.

Its not IR is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast