Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    How timely a topic!!!

I have a 1996 York PM9UP that has been giving me the three red flash issue for a few months. When it 1st happened, I read about it a little, went down and blew out all the tubes to/from the PS and it restarted immediately. The 2nd time it happened, I was on the road for work and simply had the wife shut the unit off at the Tstat and restart it. No problem.

Now it is occurring about every other day:

Unit will start up and fire on low cycle and run fine, but as soon as it tries to go to a higher firing rate, the flame goes out.

Last night, I had to reset it about 4 times straight before it would run OK. Now 14 hrs later, it is still running fine.

Sadly, this install was not typical as I bought the unit new through my father in law (licenced contractor in Vt), who is now retired. The install was done by me, with his help.

I am curious if a simple replacement of the PS will be the solution.

Thoughts, comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Javan View Post
    How timely a topic!!!

I have a 1996 York PM9UP that has been giving me the three red flash issue for a few months. When it 1st happened, I read about it a little, went down and blew out all the tubes to/from the PS and it restarted immediately. The 2nd time it happened, I was on the road for work and simply had the wife shut the unit off at the Tstat and restart it. No problem.

Now it is occurring about every other day:

Unit will start up and fire on low cycle and run fine, but as soon as it tries to go to a higher firing rate, the flame goes out.

Last night, I had to reset it about 4 times straight before it would run OK. Now 14 hrs later, it is still running fine.

Sadly, this install was not typical as I bought the unit new through my father in law (licenced contractor in Vt), who is now retired. The install was done by me, with his help.

I am curious if a simple replacement of the PS will be the solution.

Thoughts, comments?
    Have a tech come out and check what is wrong instead of guessing.

Sorry, this is not a DIY site.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Update got an digital works great, I think its UEI?

Anyhow, found similar problems with Carriers. Come to find out pressure switch would not make due to poor drainage of heat exchanger. The drain trap or neutralizer gizmo carrier uses never got flushed out and backed up condensate....
    An astronaut stuck in space was asked by a reporter, "How do you feel?"
    "How would you feel," the astronaut replied, "if you were stuck here, on top of 20,000 parts each one supplied by the lowest bidder?"

"do it right or do it twice"

Dead on target - Thanks

I have been wrestling for a week with random furnace failure with the 3 Red code. It seemed like if I cycled the power, everything worked. Was advised by others, that usually problems are due to something else - not the pressure switch. A week later, that didn't work. My Coleman Echelon 9C (York) is 3 years old!!! Just replaced the pressure switch and the heat is on!!! Thanks for the post, makes good sense, and in my case - was definitely the answer. I would hate to think how much money I would have spent had I had a service man chasing an intermittent problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GATORLITTLE View Post
    SIMILAR SWITCHES ON LUX,COLEMAN.

SERVICE INFORMATION
    Unitary Products
    5005 York Drive
    Norman, Oklahoma 73069
    1/8778747378
    Date: February 5, 2009 YS00209
    Revised
    To: All York Distributors
    All York Branches
    All Field Service Supervisors
    Subject: Pressure Switches PC9, PM9
    We have received several product reports regarding pressure switch problems on the 40
    modulating 95% furnaces. (Switch P/N S102435308000/
    SAP# 157719 upflow models &
    S102435324000/
    SAP# 160209 downflow models)
    Investigation into these issues and analysis of field returned switches have shown that the
    fault code 3 is caused by high contact resistance on the electrical contacts within the
    pressure switch. On each ignition cycle, the modulating furnace control ramps the draft
    inducer blower up and down and verifies the pressure sensor and switch operation by
    comparing the switch opening and closing points, as measured by the pressure sensor, to
    the proper switch set point for that furnace model. If the electrical contacts within the
    pressure switch body become contaminated with a foreign material, the switch may close
    mechanically but may not close electrically at the calibrated set point, causing the control
    to detect a pressure switch that is open when it should be closed. This will result in a 3flash
    error code, and the furnace control will not continue the ignition sequence.
    To address this problem, the switch supplier has made a recent change to the switch
    construction to add an industrial contact lubricant that prevents contamination from
    adhering to the electrical contact surfaces. Testing has shown that this makes the contacts
    many times more resistant to contamination by foreign substances. Pressure switches
    with code dates of 0309 (third week of 2009) will have this new construction. Source 1
    should begin to have a limited supply of the new switches available for shipment by
    February 6 th .
    The contact contamination problem will not affect any of the NG33 models, even those
    without the contact lubricant on the pressure switch contacts. The contamination on the
    contacts is usually silicone carbide, the source of which is the silicone hose connected to
    the switch. Silicone molecules outgas from the hose and migrate to the switch contacts,
    eventually affecting the electrical connection. On the NG33 models, which do not have
    closed burner boxes, there is no silicone hose on the side of the pressure switch in which
    the contacts are located, and so there is no direct source for silicone contamination. The
    problem will also not affect previous singlestage
    or twostage
    models, since those
    models do not have pressure sensors that compensate for vent length and firing rate so
    they always provide a pressure level that insures the contacts are cleaned mechanically on
    each cycle.
    This YS letter will provide a replacement pressure switch and one hour labor at the
    dealers registered DOA labor rate. Due to the nature of this issue, we recommend that the
    dealers replace the switches now, instead of waiting for them to fail. Make sure you
    reference the YS letter number when filing claims for this issue.
    For any units in distributor inventory, this YS letter will allow for replacement of the
    pressure switch along with a fair and reasonable allowance. Contact Mark Freund at 4054196609
    for prior authorization to submit the billing for reworking your inventory.
    For repair parts in distributor inventory, contact your Source 1 account representative for
    a Return Authorization of switches with code dates prior to 0309.
    Mark Freund Robert Cabrera
    Mark Freund Robert Cabrera
    Manager, Residential Field Service Director, Indoor Products Engineering

I ordered a new switch, mostly because of the above notice, however, on this site and another, there was the comment about the condensate trap. So, the other night, I took my trap off and cleaned it out with hot water, etc. In doing so, I noticed that the drain off of the inducer was actually sloped back towards the inducer. I never noticed that before, mostly since it was factory installed. Anyway, I trimmed about 1/4" off the drain, reconnected to the trap, and now my furnace has not quit since.

Something else I did was to change the number of cycles per hour that the furnace goes through at the tstat. I use a Lux CAG1500. I currently have this set for the minimum number of CPH and the system seems to work quite well. Granted, I do notice a bit more of the cold between cycles though.

Had a call yesterday...... FROM MY MOM. The York furnance installed 3 years ago not heating. I go there find a 3 fault. AGAIN stuck pressure switch, tested inducer Ok, check drainage clear, check pvc ok, got the switch to open after few exhales.... Again almost every 90+ York 2 stage in the last 4 years got a 3 code or 31 code call back complaint!!!!!!! I wonder who makes that pressure switch for them?
    An astronaut stuck in space was asked by a reporter, "How do you feel?"
    "How would you feel," the astronaut replied, "if you were stuck here, on top of 20,000 parts each one supplied by the lowest bidder?"

"do it right or do it twice"

My new switch came in on Sat, but the furnace was working fine, so I put it on the shelf for future.

Sure enough, yesterday afternoon, the furnace crapped with a 3-fault. I replaced the switch and all is well for 24 hrs now. (fingers crossed).

I have the same problem right now but my preasure switches check out ok with the multimeter opening and closing. I wire them up Bam code 3 I jumper the switches out and the furnace runs. I have looked over this furnace from top to bottom It is a 2 stage 1 1/2 old york high eff furnace so I am geussing it has the bad preasure switches. I will have to go back with the info to see if it is.

Old AOP thread, thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345