Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Do York pressure switches have a design flaw?

I've got a York Affinity 9.M furnace that was installed (brand new) in my Portland, OR home 3.5 years ago. During three of the four winters I've had it, it has stopped working at least once with the same problem: It flashes three red lights, which is code for "pressure switch stuck open."

The original installers have been good about coming out here and replacing the pressure switch for free each time, and once they replace the pressure switch, it works fine (until the next time). It hasn't cost me a dime, but it's extremely inconvenient, and it only seems to happen when we're having the coldest and/or windiest weather of the year. I've probably gone through five or six pressure switches in four years.

I was told that this is due to a defective pressure switch that York uses in their newer furnaces, and that there's nothing to be done about this except replace it when it goes bad. I find that hard to believe (and harder to believe that someone hasn't filed a class-action lawsuit against them by now if it is true). Can any pros out there lend some insight?

If it is a defective pressure switch, they should put in one that isn't defective. And York doesn't make the pressure switch.
    5 or 6 in 4 years is not right.
    There is some other problem.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Good chance you have a condensate problem.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Agree with Beenthere, I have see on really cold days she is making alot of condensation floods back and gets water in pressure switch. Have him check venting and check furnace condensation draining. Should be done every year on the clean and tune.
    Aint Notin Sweeter, Then A Brand New Heater!!!!!!!!!!

sounds more like a defective tech than a defective part

In agreement with gentlemen above. Condensate drainage problem, not switches.

Thumbs up

Very recently, I had a similar problem, newer unit, different model, but same manufacturer. Upon arrival to the service call, I learned that the unit (2 years old) was on its 2nd pressure switch. The pressure switch was rated 1.45 in.wc., I measured with a dwyer water tube manometer 1.4 in. differential pressure from draft motor to burner box. I measured 1.6in. from draft motor to atmospheric. The switch would make when disconnected from the burner box port. I inspected the draft motor, primary and secondary heat exchangers, collector box, gaskets, drainage system, intake and vent pipes, and found all to be ok, no loss of integrity. I contacted the factory (not much help), I told them I wanted them to warranty the draft motor even though it ran, eventually they agreed. Installed new motor, now measure 1.55 in. differential between draft motor and burner box. Same pressure switch, furnace works great.

PDX - York does have a problem with their pressure switches, but from what I am being told, they have it worked out. The pressure switch closes, but the contacts of the electrical portion get pitted and won't conduct the signal any more. There is also a bulletin out regarding the "routing" of the tubing going to the pressure switch. If your tech has any problems or doesn't know about the bulletin, just tell him to "call David" from York - this may take a few minutes due to the fact he is very busy, but he will return a voicemail. Any other problems, contact me through this board.
    The Lord must love stupid people or he wouldn't have made so many.

Why is it that when I am in a hurry, everyone else on the road goes 15 MPH under the speed limit?

I had similar problem with my Luxaire FL9C during November and again in December last year. Dealer had called February 19th (this year) to say that a new tech bulletin had just been issued. Here is a quote from the note I made after dealer was here to fix it: "new pressure switches to deal with silicone contamination from the hoses going to the switches that was causing the switches to not make electrical contact when closed". Have had no problem since, including day last week when we had 50 MPH winds. Perhaps one of the Luxaire/York/Coleman guys can find the bulletin?

Quote Originally Posted by PDXhomeowner View Post
    I've probably gone through five or six pressure switches in four years.

I was told that this is due to a defective pressure switch that York uses in their newer furnaces,
    They would have fixed a design defect by now.

They would have corrected it in the factory, but the ones in the field are "fix on fail".
    The Lord must love stupid people or he wouldn't have made so many.

Why is it that when I am in a hurry, everyone else on the road goes 15 MPH under the speed limit?

I had the exact same problem! Just got mine fixed!

I have been struggling for a week along with my HVAC guy to figure out what was wrong with my York. I had the exact same symptoms as PDX...furnace 3.5 years old, and it kept going to the 3-flash, pressure switch stuck open. Every once in a while it would give me a 6 flash or an 8 flash, but they all pointed to the pressure switch. The HVAC guy even replaced the pressure switch last week, but the problem persisted.

I woke up at 4:30 this morning and the house was 59 degrees (Minnesota). I started turning the furnace off and on trying to override the failure just to get the house warmed up and that was when I got online and found this discussion. I appreciated some of the good suggestions, but I can say that we are now 100% sure we have fixed my problem and I wanted to share it.

I have had a field tech coming almost every day for the last week and he just hadn't cracked the nut, so this morning the owner of the firm came out too. What the owner knows (because I have known him for years), that the field tech and you all don't know, is that I have a 2 year old boy who likes to be a stinker. The owner showed up and didn't even bother ringing the bell. Instead he walked to the back of the house, pulled the PVC venting loose at the first corner where it came out of the house, and the problem was solved. My boy had been dropping Class V rocks down the vent all summer and it was choking off the intake! It would be like trying to run a marathon with a mouthful of marbles!! Glad to have the problem solved and thought I would share it with all of you. Enjoy.

By the way

By the way, I realize most of the pros responding to this discussion would probably check the vent elbows (see my previous response), but I posted my example for any other amateurs and DIYers out there that might be trying to figure something like this out for the first time.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast