Furnace Computer board?

I'm hoping that some of the fine folks here will help me in making a decision about my furnace.
    Money's tight, but I gotta have heat to take care of the family.

When Piedmont Natural Gas brought a gas line through in 1995, I got hooked up & purchased a Carrier 9200 Weather Maker
    model 58MXA060 (92%) gas furnace,
    along w/ a high efficiency Carrier outdoor AC unit.

When I began using it this year, it seamed to be struggling to keep the house temp up to were the thermostat was set.
    Because my mom lives w/ me & has lots of health issues, I to keep it at least 70f.
    If set on 72, it would usually show the room temp at 68-69.
    One morn it was particularly cold outside & the room temp was 65f.

I called John's plumbing Mon morn & they came out that afternoon. The guy did some checking & thought the computer board was going out. It was firing erratically. He called Carrier & they informed him that the computer board for that model was no longer available but they had another one that would require a "conversion kit". That would run $+.

Maybe I'm wrong, but sounds like they have created a change that allows them to charge the customer an extra bundle in order to keep the furnace going.

I've kept my recites from all service calls & for the AC & the furnace they add up to 1,461.25

BTW... the AC unit (Carrier 38TR030, 2.5 ton) has needed freon added the last two springs & the guy told me that it should be a larger unit, although the folks that sold it to me said it was more than big enough for my small house (about 1,120 sqft) when I bought it in 95.

I'll be away from the computer for a few hours, but I'll check back ASAP.
    Thank you very much for any help you might offer. ...Tim
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-08-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Removed price

First im sure they will ask you to remove the pricing.
    Second call them and ask to speak to a manager.
    Explain exactly what you did here and if you cannot get an acceptable resolution call a different company.
    The prices are not out of line but the fact that freon had to be added and now the system does not sound like it is sized properly IS an issue and they should address it. If they were the ones who sold it to you.

There may be people on this site who can help you as well.
    There is also the option to replace it since it is soon to be 15 years old and with the tax incentives and maybe energy rebates in your area it may be just the ticket.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

check your diagnostic code without shutting power off look at the bottom panel by blower red light should be visible count the flashes with a carrier count slow then faster ones like 2 slow 3 fast then this will help in diagnosing problem.

If the A/C has been cooling the house fine. then you don't need a bigger one.

Prices are not allowed in post.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Hard to diagnose problem from behind the computer. I did have a problem with a 90%+ furnace a few years ago that would heat the house, but not to set temperature. It kicked my butt for a trip or 2. What happened was the pvc flue ran through the roof, when the roofer wrapped the lead roof cap around the pipe, it was a tile roof, he partially obstructed the exhaust, not much, but enough where that stupid furnace would run for 30+ minutes then shutdown because it thought the flue was obstructed, it would trip the pressure switch. I would sit in the attic for 20-30 minutes and watch the stupid thing run no problem. On the 3rd trip, I cleared the day and sat and watched that damned thing. Around 45 minutes of running, it finally did it. I climbed on the roof, which was a 2 story tile roof on a cliff, hoping not too fall. Crimped the lead down very tight to the pipe and watched it run for an hour and a half. To this day, I've never been back to that furnace, that was 4 years ago. I'm not suggesting you undertake this yourself, but get your a/c guy to do that. If that is not it. I would consider purchasing a new ac and heating system before I would dump a bunch of money into a 15 year old system.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

manufacturers cease making parts all the time

not just heat & A/C mfg.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

hey bud i see your mistake, in your message you said you called a plumber ? call a hvac co the two dont mix

Sorry about the pricing.
    John's Plumbing has grown into heat & air also, & seam to have become a respectable company in the area.
    Is unit called "top of the line" only expected to provide about 15 years of service?

Coil leaks can happen at any time. No matter what end of the product line they are.

Your furnace board may not be the problem. Could be something else much simpler.

No end of the model line doesn't have units that fail early. But 15 years is getting close to the end of life span for equipment in my area.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

A 15 year old piece of equipment is bound to have issues eventually. Depending on the manufacturer, as they change and improve equipment, sooner or later some parts become obsolete, same as any equipment, go try to buy certain parts for your 15 year old car from the dealer and see what's not available anymore. The fact that there was a retrofit part available is a plus, otherwise, a new furnace would have been the answer. As far as what it has cost you the past 15 years, averaged out, sounds reasonable to me. Regular bi-annual maint from me (furnace/AC) would have been more. Again, a leak showing up after 10-15 years in an AC system, not all that unusual although, they should find and fix it, not just recharge it. Maybe you should take advantage of the tax credit and manufacturer rebates available right now and upgrade.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

OK, starting to look like I may be replacing the furnace & probably best to replace the AC too, & take advantage of the government rebate.
    No doubt, this has already been discussed to death elsewhere, but can you point me to good info on the pros & cons of different types of H & A units for my area?
    Of course there is the initial cost... budget is pretty tight but I may be able to finance. It needs to be cost effective but of course, I don't want to buy a unit so expensive that may never recoup the initial cost.
    The one I have now is natural gas, & I like the way it heats. A heat pump has been suggested, but my elderly mom lives w/ me & I've herd so much about how the HP tends to never make the house really feel warm.

I dont know the cost of the part that you typed out but I'm pretty sure that carrier did infact supersede the part with another. I think MOST of those units now can all share the same control board. Obviously this make its less expensive for the manufacture to make one control. Also can make it a little trickier to wire out, its not hard though....

Depending on how confident you feel in the service techs diagnoses you may want to call someone else (a Carrier dealer) and have them diagnose it and see their cost of the part. Your wording like "thought the computer board was going out" just seems....well weakly worded I guess...

Sure a new system would be nice but if times are tough and might be getting better soon (?) you may want to wait...That way you can at least get something nice...something you want...not get something because you NEED it NOW....