Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by trey View Post
    Result of leakingAcetylene bottlestored in plumbers van. 22-10-09.
    Accidently ignited by activating a remote door lock device.
    Any friends in the industry or trades-person please pass on.

Tracy,
    Who is that person in your avatar?
    He sure looks familar.

You are too much.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by maniak View Post
    was that from just a B tank?? wow! I keep mine standing up, strapped in in the back corner of the van, never had any issues. always make sure your tank is off!!! don't rely on your crappy helper to do it, I find mine on almost every time I check when they put it away.

I did have a leaking propane tank once, in the bottom of my soldering box. Leaked after first use, opened the box and just stunk. I got rid of it.
    My boss use to rip me a new one when I left bottle opened...Now That I am 6Yr journeyman I do appreciate those a** rippings..Nothing worse than grabbing empty torches......

If you go in Dive shops they usually have pictures of vehicles dive tanks have burst in, usually you can't tell what kind of vehicle it was.

Always liked the questions I'd get when going to high security sites, "Do you have any explosive devices?" "Any dangerous Chemicals?" always wanted to have the nerve to say, "can read the side of the truck?" "It's a Refrigeration truck, A.K.A. a rolling bomb, loaded with chemicals forbidden in modern warfare.

Joe Harper is offline AOP Committee/Professional Member*
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    If you go in Dive shops they usually have pictures of vehicles dive tanks have burst in, usually you can't tell what kind of vehicle it was.

Always liked the questions I'd get when going to high security sites, "Do you have any explosive devices?" "Any dangerous Chemicals?" always wanted to have the nerve to say, "can read the side of the truck?" "It's a Refrigeration truck, A.K.A. a rolling bomb, loaded with chemicals forbidden in modern warfare.
    Take it from a fellow smartass..You dont want to roll up to the guardgate at a military installation and say anything like that. After filling out mass amounts of paperwork to get on the base, you get denied and they kick you out.

Quote Originally Posted by maniak View Post
    always make sure your tank is off!!! don't rely on your crappy helper to do it, I find mine on almost every time I check when they put it away.
    I did that only once. Won't happen again. Coworker and I finished a job late in the day and had a three hour drive so we hurried to put everything back in my van. I didn't realize until the next morning that he left the tanks open. Wow was the smell strong! After looking at these pictures I am just happy it was below the LEL when I opened the door and the dome light came on.

just a suggestion,i find it easy to leave my service wrench on the valve stem of b tank after i crack it open for use. were all in a hurry at the end of the day to pack up,and if it's not in front of you,one might just reliy only on the torch knob. ever crack open a b tank and torch knob partally open from getting bumped in your van?

Quick rub of T-cut and that'll clean right up, mate.

2009 pic, you can see his unexploded van on his drive (Google Earth).
    38 2'25.59"S 145 7'56.30"E

That is why I dont let any one but me, put my acetylene away, I once opened my van in the morning to the same smell, I had no fob, and I was right there, luckily it did not explode. Or I would have made 1000 ways to die.

I always put the wrench in my pocket when I turn on the tank that way when I clean out my pockets at end of job it reminds me the tanks on.

lucky it didnt blow up

thank you for posting that. I always wondered what acetylene could do and always made sure my tanks where shut off and i bleed all the gas from my hose's as well. I guess i would be double checking that even now. I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt. I bet now they will start making you sign some forms when you pick them up how. Just like McDonald's and the "caution hot coffee" LOL!!!!
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post

SCUBA cylinders will not explode like shown in this thread.

When they do come apart, most of the time it is during the filling of the cylinder.

SCUBA cylinders have burst disks in the valves, that is supposed to let go before the cylinder comes apart.

I printed out pics of the decimated van, we taped them to the doors where our oxy acetylene outfits are stored. That should make you think twice when you put the equipment back in the truck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast