Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motorized Compressor Lift

I have a friend who has prototyped a motorized compressor lift for removing a compressor from a tall high seer condenser.

Aluminum construction with a motor and cable. It sits on top of the condenser and has a sliding plate so you can lower it to ground and lift the new one in and has wheels for easy transport.

He and I are talking about using the sliding plate as a bottom to make it so the device could also be used as a conventional dolly. That way one could remove the dolly from their service vehicle and make room for this device.

I would appreciate any feedback on this device as to whether you guys may think it might be something that you all could use.

Its a little pricey at this point around $650.00 but beats removing the condenser to get to the compressor. Let alone the cost of a back injury.
    Last edited by mcjo tech; 12-09-2009 at 10:21 PM.

It'd be nice to see some pictures of this.

I must admit the trick I learned here about just removing the coil does make it a lot easier and only adds 2 couplers to the mix.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

I have posted before a system I use that is about 150.00 does the same thing, plus attic unit lifting as Strike Wolf uses etc. No design work just buy the parts/components.

Name:  WORK TRUCK HOIST 001.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  64.8 KB

Look very close to the sliding trolly side to side for use.
    Just use pipe stands for outdoor condenser.

Tripod made out of black pipe with a welded steel head, a come-a-long, and a canvas strap to go around the compressor (or if you're lucky the compressor has a lifting hook loop) might be a low tech way to go...
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Tripod made out of black pipe with a welded steel head, a come-a-long, and a canvas strap to go around the compressor (or if you're lucky the compressor has a lifting hook loop) might be a low tech way to go...
    With my set up even tho I believe it to be rated 800lbs, I would not even think of trying an 06 semi hermetic or other types. I have proven mine for up to 10 ton scroll at max. Mainly just use it for resi condensers and the work truck.

An expensive alternate to a ladder a pulley and a rope
    If it doesn't go easy, you are not using a big enough hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by JBM1000 View Post
    With my set up even tho I believe it to be rated 800lbs, I would not even think of trying an 06 semi hermetic or other types. I have proven mine for up to 10 ton scroll at max. Mainly just use it for resi condensers and the work truck.
    Yeah, I had resi in mind when I said that, given someone mentioned tall high SEER condensers.

Although my plumber at work made one of these rigs like I described, and loaned it to some construction guys on site to pull up big chunks of concrete once used for bollard light bases. They used a chainfall vs. a come-a-long, but the tripod was none the worse for wear.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Thumbs up

I have been using a pullzall from warn works that I bought from tractor supply. 115v only 15lb. with a 15ft wire rope does a fine job on compressors and lifting air handlers in to the attic.

old thread, but do any of you guys going lower tech than the OP have a photo of your set up?

I want to make one for myself and wonder how/what is working for you and what you might change. As of now it will be only for change outs of resi compressors outside.

I bought this, http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...rol-40765.html, but the 1 5/8"(and probably 2" if I try hard) clamp diameter worries me. I do not know if the 8' length of pipe will hold the weight. I was planning on placing a ladder on each side of the unit and the pipe with hoist on the highest enclosed rungs.

If it interests anyone, I moded a gl8 lift to lift out compressors.

First- I placed the lift arm in the middle;

Then I made extension wide legs that fit around the condenser;

Got the lift off craigslist for $375.00 (rated 400 lbs) used but in perfect condition---and it's good for lifting up those mini-splits on the river.

Confused Motorized compressor lift .. MCJO Tech

I was reading a post from December of 2009 and you had mentioned a friend who had invented a tool to remove compressors. i was wondering how that's coming along and do you have pictures of it to show us?
    I'm very curious about it..

I use a Geni Lift. It works for removing window a/c's, and installing metal ductwork. I've used it to install 800# transformers that are up high. What's nice is you can take Unistrut and make the arms whatever size and shape you want. I use it to R&R 15 Ton Scroll compressors out of Trane RTU's. I use a fork lift to get the Geni on the roof.

Motorized compressor lift .. question for mcjo tech..

Thank you captain123. I'll take that advice.
    My question is for mcjo tech. Is he around anymore? He had specifically mentioned a friends prototype that removed compressors from tall, high seer condensers. I would love to see pictures of this tool and get the friends name and number to talk with him about it further.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast