Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alignment tool

alignment tool

hello everyone, i was wondering what tools do you guys use to align a pump. thanks

A Dial Indicator works well
    Local 30 New York, New York Operating Engineer

I to use a dial indicator, but what brands do you guys have thanks.

Try Starrett, a bit costly but worth every dollar. You will require mounting accessories to enhance performance.
    Local 30 New York, New York Operating Engineer

I have a 6" pocket ruler I used to get it bumped close, then I throw the magnetic base with a dial indicator on it. Be sure you check not only the up/down and side/side alignment but also the parallel alignment too!

It's not a bad idea to add to the list a micrometer or a caliper that reads in thousandths and a shim kit.

I haven't come up with a good way yet, but I'd like to get a coaxial indicator to use for checking alignment so you can swivel the dial around and see it all the time with out climbing around the pump.

In my machinist's toolbox at home I've got Starret and Mitutoyo for the stuff that needs dead accuracy (which is seldom stuff at work). I've also got a few cheap dial indicators (they are like $20 as opposed to $200) and honestly they work plenty good.

I've got a magnetic base and a cheap indicator in my van. No sense in beating up high dollar precision tools when accuracy under .005" is rarely needed.

"If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Thanks for the great replies.

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    I have a 6" pocket ruler I used to get it bumped close, then I throw the magnetic base with a dial indicator on it.

I haven't come up with a good way yet, but I'd like to get a coaxial indicator to use for checking alignment so you can swivel the dial around and see it all the time with out climbing around the pump.

I also use a starett 6'' rule to get close, and then use a dial. I have found that a chain type clamp fastened around a hub with a dial mounted to it and a mirror works very well. I usually have to use 2 to get it mounted. although i see in the link i'm going to try to post now has a 24'' chain. Part # 21025A21 or 2593A11 http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/2242/=4wlaqn

Ya know, I used a chain one a few times back in machinist school, but for some reason completely forgot about them. I might have to pick one up one of these days.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    I have a 6" pocket ruler I used to get it bumped close, then I throw the magnetic base with a dial indicator on it. Be sure you check not only the up/down and side/side alignment but also the parallel alignment too!

It's not a bad idea to add to the list a micrometer or a caliper that reads in thousandths and a shim kit.

In my machinist's toolbox at home I've got Starret and Mitutoyo for the stuff that needs dead accuracy (which is seldom stuff at work). I've also got a few cheap dial indicators (they are like $20 as opposed to $200) and honestly they work plenty good.

I've got a magnetic base and a cheap indicator in my van. No sense in beating up high dollar precision tools when accuracy under .005" is rarely needed.

Hey amickracing, how's it going were can I get on for around the $20 to $40 rang your talking about.

Thanks
    If you help others then you are a Success

Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    Hey amickracing, how's it going were can I get on for around the $20 to $40 rang your talking about.

Thanks
    fcs,

Look at Harbor Freight.

For $50ish, you can pick up a dial, mounting stuff and probably a case, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    fcs,

Look at Harbor Freight.

For $50ish, you can pick up a dial, mounting stuff and probably a case, too.
    don't see one with base on their web site?
    If you help others then you are a Success

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast