Thread: Hot Gas Method

Hot Gas Method

I have been following with interest the discussions on charging a unit using super heat and sub cool. Today while wiring up a Goodman 3 1/5 ton heat pump I read under the cover their recommendations on charging in the cool mode and the heat mode.

In the heat mode they said to use the hot gas method. Take the line temp between the compressor and the reversing valve. They said it should be 126 or 127 degrees ( can't remember which) degrees hotter than the ambient temperature outside. Too hot add gas and too cool remove some of the charge. Sounds like an easy way to do it and I am asking is this just something to get you in the ball park or is it a reliable way to check the charge. This unit uses R-22.

Another question is could you use this with a unit that uses say 134A with a different temperature adder.

Quote Originally Posted by 6010 View Post
    I have been following with interest the discussions on charging a unit using super heat and sub cool. Today while wiring up a Goodman 3 1/5 ton heat pump I read under the cover their recommendations on charging in the cool mode and the heat mode.

In the heat mode they said to use the hot gas method. Take the line temp between the compressor and the reversing valve. They said it should be 126 or 127 degrees ( can't remember which) degrees hotter than the ambient temperature outside. Too hot add gas and too cool remove some of the charge. Sounds like an easy way to do it and I am asking is this just something to get you in the ball park or is it a reliable way to check the charge. This unit uses R-22.

Another question is could you use this with a unit that uses say 134A with a different temperature adder.
    The hot gas method has always worked well for me, but it is not an easy method to perform properly.

I don't want to go into detail about this on an open forum. Get your post count up to 15 posts and apply for professional membership where this sort of thing can be discussed in depth.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Thanks RoBo

I am hoping to be able to make the change soon so I can further my education.

was thinking about this earlier today & it seems like there was a long thread a year or so about it but cant seem to find it.
    anybody got a link to it?? have an icp that has never performed well in heat that i want to try it on . bad part is totally matched system &
    only 18 deg. rise on heat. matched goodman next door getting 28 deg.
    same builder & floor plan. cooling on both units very good.