Carrier 58CVA Code 13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier 58CVA Code 13

I had a Carrier Heating/AC unit installed during the summer of 2004. The first winter the system would not come on or when it did only heat with very low or no fan speed. It displayed a Code 13 Limit Circuit Lockout which also refers to Code 33 Limit Circuit Fault. The HVAC technician could find nothing wrong and said the items listed under Codes 13 and 33 were not the problem.

On the second visit a week later same code etc. he replaced the circuit board because that is what he was told to do by the HVAC sop owner.

Now 5 years later I have the same problem (Code 13) and the technician said he can’t find anything wrong and it is not related to Code 13 or 33. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Is this a known problem with these units? Will I have to pay for a new circuit board every 5 years or so?

Thank you.

make sure your filters are clean and dampers on the ductwork arent closed....highly doubt the board is going bad! is there any codes being displayed? have ure hvac guy pull the limit out and make sure the air baffle isnt clogged or dirty

isnt it a 90% eff furnace

thats a 80% infinity gas furnace

Weathermaker 8000VS - Code 13

Gravity/BSmith816:

Thank you for your replies.

I have a little more information. It is a 80% evffeciency unit as Gravity mentioned. I had my HVAC guy out and he said electronic air cleaners are fine and he can find no obstruction.

The unit seems to work fine when it only has to keep the house at temperature. This is, if the temperature drops a degree or two the furnace operates as normal.

I have a Honeywell set back thermostat which I have set to go down to 58 degrees at night and come back on at 6 am to 68 degrees. The problem seems to always happen in the morning when the furnace must run a lot to bring the house up to temperature. It also seems that when the unit is running the blower is never in high speed (I could be wrong on this.)

At the request of my HVAC guy I took the set back off last night and let the unit stay at 68 degrees and everything seemed to work fine. I will set back again tonight to 58 degrees and I suspect I will have the same problem.

Could it be I read the Code backwards and instead of being 13 LIMIT CIRCUIT LOCKOUT it is 31 HIGH-HEAT PRESSURE SWITCH OR RELAY DID NOT CLOSE OR REOPEN?

When I read the code it gave 1 quick flash then a longer flash followed by two more.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Brampton2

I have the same model of carrier heater and even the exactly same trouble history as yours. PSEG wants to replace the circuit board again. Maybe they are right.

It sounds like a limit switch to me. Check filters and fan speed.
    Last edited by llskywalker; 12-12-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Removed DIY info

10 degree setback!!way to much of a swing,, quite possible unit is running for 20 to 25 minutes in the morning and is going off on limit .unit getting to hot.just a thought. good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by wh06 View Post
    10 degree setback!!way to much of a swing,, quite possible unit is running for 20 to 25 minutes in the morning and is going off on limit .unit getting to hot.just a thought. good luck...
    If his duct work is under sized(or air filter dirty), it would.
    Correct sized duct work. Wouldn't matter if it was a 20° set back. Temp rise would remain the same. And it wouldn't trip on a limit.

He needs a good tech to check it out.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I appreciate everyone's comments and advice. I have some more information that might lead to a solution.

1) The HVAC company when they originally installed the heater in 2004 moved it away from the back wall and the upstairs heating unit to allow easier access.
    The 4 inch wide exhaust pipe is now more than 200 inches long and has 4 elbows in it before it gets to the chimney. The same problem I am having today (Code 13) I experienced in 2004 when they first installed the unit and they replaced the circuit board.

2) The set back is not 20 degrees but rather 10 degrees (68 to 58).

3) Yesterday I left the front cover off the unit and it seemed to work fine bring the house back up to temperature. Last night I replaced the cover and this morning the unit shut down wit Code 13 indicated. I removed cover and reset unit with switch. The unit came on immediately and the electronic pilot glowed red. When the gas came on it immediately flamed out and I had an odor of gas. The unit continue to run and in about 20 seconds or so the electronic pilot glowed red again and this time the unit fired up and heated the house to temperature. Could it be with the cover on the gas stays behind the cover and some safety sensor keeps the unit from firing up?

Thanks again for any advice and guidance that you can provide so that I can steer my HVAC guy, who installed it and is a Carrier dealer, in the correct direction.

I want to go away for awhile but I want to be sure my heater is working properly before I do.

It sounds like your tech needs to check the flame sensor. Does the space have combustion air in the room? If no combustion air your using the air that you breath in order for the furnace to burn. What door did you leave off?Good luck.

llskywalker:

Thanks for your reply. The door I was referring to is the front cover of the heater that has the Carrier and model name on it. It covers the electronics and the internals of the heater.

Regarding the combustion air in the room I am not sure exactly what this means but the heater is in a 22' x 18' unfinished section of my basement. I think it gets enough air and it does not interfere with my other living space in a 3,200 two story home.

Regards.

if your flue exhaust is 200 inches long. make sure it has plenty of slope to it. since the furnace has to run for a while to bring the temperature up that gives it time to build up pressure in the exhaust and trip the pressure switch. so make sure it has as much slope as possible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast