Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long does it usually take for a one unit system to be installed?

Most of my quotes are for jobs that will take one day to install. This would include a little duct work. But one bidder says it will take 2-3 days, and anything less is shortchanging me. What do y'all think?

Cool

What is being installed? Furnace,AC,heat pump. Need more info.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

a basic changout of equitment, lets say an a/c, furnace, coil, thermostat, lineset, and some new duct to accomadate this chagneout, would take 1 day typically, just depends on where your eqiutment is, how accessible everything is.

but taking 3 days to do a one day job doesnt give u more value, it just shows whoever is doin it isnt busy and is most likely lazy. ive done total systme and duct changeouts in an average house in 3 days. so dont worry about it taken more time, worry about how they present themselves and there profesionalism

but need more info to tell u exactly how long it should take, but not every installer is created equal either, some are faster than others.

Cool

Hey VETS is that a Z06 vette?

Yes, it would help if I gave more info. Sorry!

Being installed is a heat pump & handler & thermostat, widening return ducts, wrapping the ducts, completely new box for air handler to sit on (1-day jobs to only replace top of the block), cut out and replace drywall behind handler (only 3 day job is doing this), replacing block that outside unit sits on, adjusting location of control boxes outside (only 3 day job has mentioned doing this, but it might be inherent in other quotes).... I think that's about it.

Everything is accessible, I think. The 3 day guy said the outside area needs to be reworked a little.... said it's not up to current code on where it is (too close to the house?) so some minor (I think) accomodations surrounding that need to be made.

The guy who came out who said it would take 3 days was very professional, but he's the owner of the company, and he's not the one who is going to install it.

My company has myself and one other guy. The other guy has 23 years experience and I have 4. I can do as good of an install as he can. He can do it twice as fast. Install quotes are flat and an extra day won't cost you more money with my company, so if you can put up with the inconvience of an additional day I promise it will be done right and no corners cut just so I can get out of there as fast as he does.

Cool

Well not being there it is kind of hard to say but if it is just one man doing the work then two to three days is not excessive for a professional job. I just did an entire new house with ducts,furnace and AC and it took me six days.

Depends what all is being done.
    Since we can't see your situation/set up. We can't tell you how long it should take.
    The company taking longer. May be doing far more work then the others.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If the only one who mentioned moving your unit away from the house because it is not up to code is the 3 day guy, I would go with him. The fact that he noticed the problem and brought it to your attention shows that he knows what he's doing and will do it right.

You know, I hate that as a hvac contractor.I hate when a company tells someone it will only take a day to do this job.

Are they saying one day on the job..plus two days to run all around town getting all the parts together? Is it for taking measurement and going back to the shop to laying out and putting together the base and pleum.Would be for tearing out and hauling the old stuff from the job.

Do they do all these thing that take a extra two days so when the install crew arrives it will only be one day that the customer has to be without heat/ac.

Nothing i hate more then having to face a customer saying to me why your price is too high. You're saying its going to take three days and all these other guys are saying its going to only take a day.

You guys that brag about how fast you can do a job are not being fair to yourselfs.

Just swapping out equipment should take a day. Ductwork maybe longer. Can't really say. I would get a list of what each contractor is doing and compare. Who knows who will do better? It's a crapshoot unless you've had recommendations from friends and family.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by ggcampbell View Post
    Yes, it would help if I gave more info. Sorry!

Being installed is a heat pump & handler & thermostat, widening return ducts, wrapping the ducts, completely new box for air handler to sit on (1-day jobs to only replace top of the block), cut out and replace drywall behind handler (only 3 day job is doing this), replacing block that outside unit sits on, adjusting location of control boxes outside (only 3 day job has mentioned doing this, but it might be inherent in other quotes).... I think that's about it.

Everything is accessible, I think. The 3 day guy said the outside area needs to be reworked a little.... said it's not up to current code on where it is (too close to the house?) so some minor (I think) accomodations surrounding that need to be made.

The guy who came out who said it would take 3 days was very professional, but he's the owner of the company, and he's not the one who is going to install it.
    The timeframe given sounds reasonable for the amount of work listed.

You need to make a decision based upon who is doing the job right, not how long it will take.

Lots of "fast" guys/companies leave a lot of stuff not done... and to be fair, there are people out there that can do it "fast" and "right"... but they seem to be the minority.

Oh, and if it isn't listed on the quote, it isn't being done.

Never make assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by ggcampbell View Post
    Most of my quotes are for jobs that will take one day to install. This would include a little duct work. But one bidder says it will take 2-3 days, and anything less is shortchanging me. What do y'all think?

The time it takes is a function of experience, size of crew, efficiency of crew, attention to detail, prep work, "slop" time budget for unanticipated issues, length of work days, etc, etc.

A pro crew could take 2-3 days because they want to do it right. Or a "hack" could take 2-3 days because they're clueless.

A pro could do it in 1 day because they're expereinced, efficient and have a game plan. A "hack" could do it in 1 day because they're cutting corners like not bothering to obtaining proper vacuum or too lazy to hook up the Nitrogen bottle while brazing.

Your focus should be based on getting the best installation vs. install time. Keep doing your homework. You're asking pretty good questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast