Trane XL 2.5 ton heat pump

Trane XL 2.5 ton heat pump

Is it normal that the air handler blows cold air when the outside trane compressor is in the 'defrost cycle'? I looked out the window the other day when it was 28 degrees and the compressor was (I think, in the defrost cycle) since I saw steam coming from it with the fan NOT rotating. It gave a hiss and that was it. The thermostat upstairs was set at 70 deg. The air-handler was on a blowing COLD air. Is this normal? Also, when the temp on the thermostat dropped to 69 deg., the air compressor outside came on and all appear to be working properly once again since I could feel the air coming out of the ducts as being warmer than the ice cold air that was coming out before.

Anybody??

Regards,
    jack

Quote Originally Posted by noullet View Post
    Is it normal that the air handler blows cold air when the outside trane compressor is in the 'defrost cycle'? I looked out the window the other day when it was 28 degrees and the compressor was (I think, in the defrost cycle) since I saw steam coming from it with the fan NOT rotating. It gave a hiss and that was it. The thermostat upstairs was set at 70 deg. The air-handler was on a blowing COLD air. Is this normal? Also, when the temp on the thermostat dropped to 69 deg., the air compressor outside came on and all appear to be working properly once again since I could feel the air coming out of the ducts as being warmer than the ice cold air that was coming out before.

Anybody??

Regards,
    jack
    Yup, sounds like a normal defrost cycle.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

well yes it was a defrost cycle.... but if the airhandler was installed properly, you electric (auxillary) heat strip would have come on to temper the airconditioning that was then blowing into the house. Not much sense to heat a house then cool it down when the heat pump goes into defrost!
    Either the heat pump was not wired correctly for the signal to get back to the air handler.... or it was not connected in the air handler. Or you have a bad heater pack!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbleheadski View Post
    well yes it was a defrost cycle.... but if the airhandler was installed properly, you electric (auxillary) heat strip would have come on to temper the airconditioning that was then blowing into the house. Not much sense to heat a house then cool it down when the heat pump goes into defrost!
    Either the heat pump was not wired correctly for the signal to get back to the air handler.... or it was not connected in the air handler. Or you have a bad heater pack!
    Believe it or not some heat pumps don't have auxiliary heat strip.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Believe it or not some heat pumps don't have auxiliary heat strip.
    And believe it not, a lot more do. Being 28 outside I would have to assume she is in one of the areas that do. Simple for her to check, turn on emergency heat and see if it comes out warm.