Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not connecting to Jace Platform

Started a new Demo Jace. Connected to the platform and did a 'Station Copy'. Pop-up gave a list of files to load etc. After Jace rebooted I have not been able to connect to the platform since.

Connected with the Hyperterminal and the only thing out of the ordinary that I see is
    'Starting Niagarad' ->
    'Could not find library libcpp.so.4' ->
    'Starting tinit' ->

Everything after that seems normal but I am unable to connect.
    Message in Workbench says 'Cannot connect. Ensure server is running on specified port.'

Any help would be appreciated. Thanx
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    Started a new Demo Jace. Connected to the platform and did a 'Station Copy'. Pop-up gave a list of files to load etc. After Jace rebooted I have not been able to connect to the platform since.

Connected with the Hyperterminal and the only thing out of the ordinary that I see is
    'Starting Niagarad' ->
    'Could not find library libcpp.so.4' ->
    'Starting tinit' ->

Everything after that seems normal but I am unable to connect.
    Message in Workbench says 'Cannot connect. Ensure server is running on specified port.'

Any help would be appreciated. Thanx
    Did you commission or just copy a station?

just copy

Well, after searching through Niagara Central, it seems that the only solution is to send the Jace back to Tridium. Is there any other solution?

There is no reason for it to reboot with just a copy?

The only thing I can think of ..is it may have a license issue due to it being a "Demo"?

License is good. It is the 'Office Demo'

It sounds like you had a brand new Jace that you just did a station copy on. This will cause the issue that you are describing because it only transfers part of the required software. You have to commission the Jace prior to transferring a station.

It is field recoverable, you should contact your tech support channel for help with recovering it though.

checkvalve, that is exactly what I did. After searching the forums and figured out what I did wrong. I hope you're right about the 'field recoverable'. Some forum posts suggest that it may have to be returned to the factory. I will call them tomorrow.

I am sure many people have done this, including myself.
    And I am sure many people have asked why such an action is even allowed by the software/jace if it causes such a critical failure. I mean, does it not make sense for workbench to do some sanity checks before proceeding?
    Tridium is great, don't get me wrong but don't understand why this has been so difficult to address over the years?

And Dapper, I thought you guys were die hard iLON users, what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    I am sure many people have done this, including myself.
    And I am sure many people have asked why such an action is even allowed by the software/jace if it causes such a critical failure. I mean, does it not make sense for workbench to do some sanity checks before proceeding?
    Tridium is great, don't get me wrong but don't understand why this has been so difficult to address over the years?

And Dapper, I thought you guys were die hard iLON users, what happened?
    The commissioning wizard is what handles those "sanity" checks. Although the station copier parses the station and checks for module dependencies, it doesn't check the OS.

I believe the field recoverable option requires enabling ftp from the serial shell and transferring in a clean .dist to the JACE.

digo, I have enabled ftp but have not been able to connect. Will see what tech support says.

amigo, it was a stupid mistake but I agree that there should be a check. I couldn't count how many times in the certification class we were told 'just try things, you can't hurt anything'. Right out of the box I fubar the Jace. I learned a lesson that I won't soon forget. Not so diehard LON anymore. You have to go where the work is. Have several contracts that spec Tridium with LON controllers.

Digo, that definately is an option. On the other hand, I have done that task successfully 4 times.

It just so happened that I received a demo JACE recently that someone failed at an attempt to upgrade it. I tried to FTP a clean distribution file, and either it didn't take it, or the "npm2xx-etfs512.image" I sent to it was corrupt. Now I have an invalid NAND image. My JACE is nothing more than a nice paper weight

Dapper, if you have a messenger, I have an email thread straight from a Tridium tech support representative. You may be able to make some headway with it.

Problem solved. It was essentially what Digo said. Just needed the right shell commands and the tricks to find the image etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast