Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cold climate techs: What are you wearing for gloves?

Curious, now that it is getting colder up here in New England, what do you guys find works best for insulating the hands on the job? Obviously big thick snow gloves aren't going to work. What works for you?

MOVE where there NO SNOW

Gloves with only the fingertips cut off should work well.
    I've heard that tank drivers use these, even with a 40 MPH sub-zero wind in their faces.
    Grainger doesn't seem to have these but woodcutters' supply houses may have them.

But I've seen (women's?) gloves where you can cover or uncover the fingertips. Women's hands get colder faster so you might look for large size women's gloves with this option.

And a hair dryer makes a good substitute for a roaring fire, as far as your hands are concerned.

I wear what ever stuff home depot/lowes have... nothing is gonna work,. too thick u can't grab stuffs and too thin ur finger r frozen. I'm yet to try those mitten where u can open and close the front for fine stuffs.

i got a free pair from Trane last year...they only stay on from the truck to the RTU. Its bare hands from there

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    MOVE where there NO SNOW
    We'll all move to San Jose. There must be plenty of customers out there looking for some good old fashioned Yankee ingenuity.

Bring your hammer, help me fix these furnaces.

Quote Originally Posted by gary8878 View Post
    Curious, now that it is getting colder up here in New England, what do you guys find works best for insulating the hands on the job? Obviously big thick snow gloves aren't going to work. What works for you?

The trick is to wash your hands with cold water, they will adjust and it wont be as bad working outside.

Many times I do not wear gloves ... that's what the flue exhaust is for ...

I have a number of gloves depending on the type of work. I'll sometimes wear my tight work gloves, then have a pair of heavy bigger gloves and put them over the other gloves when I don't have to do in tight work. The tight gloves suck at keeping your hands warm if you are out there a long time.

I’ll get the name of them later … I got them at J-stones.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    The trick is to wash your hands with cold water, they will adjust and it wont be as bad working outside.

Many times I do not wear gloves ... that's what the flue exhaust is for ...

I have a number of gloves depending on the type of work. I'll sometimes wear my tight work gloves, then have a pair of heavy bigger gloves and put them over the other gloves when I don't have to do in tight work. The tight gloves suck at keeping your hands warm if you are out there a long time.

I’ll get the name of them later … I got them at J-stones.

Two pair of gloves what a wussy.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

I bought a pair of these a few years ago for offroad riding. They work as advertised.
    http://www.jrgraham.com:9081/browse....ctg_id=7108989

FWIW, the gloves used to run about a size small - probably worth a call to verify sizing.
    Last edited by DaveCR; 12-08-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added info
    UA LU 562

A secret to staying cozy in winter was known long ago. It's wool. Wool glove inserts or just the gloves. Wear wool socks and sweaters. We were issued wool in the AF and while it itched at first, we got used to it in a day or two.
    Try it you'll like it.
    Cotton in summer, wool in winter. Actually, the Navaho's wore their blankets quite a bit. They were wool.
    When I used to cave some guys wore woman's pantie hose. Just don't get in an accident.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    A secret to staying cozy in winter was known long ago. It's wool. Wool glove inserts or just the gloves. Wear wool socks and sweaters. We were issued wool in the AF and while it itched at first, we got used to it in a day or two.
    Try it you'll like it.
    Cotton in summer, wool in winter. Actually, the Navaho's wore their blankets quite a bit. They were wool.
    When I used to cave some guys wore woman's pantie hose. Just don't get in an accident.
    vmc wear's them to.See thread http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....32#post5218932.

I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

I bought a pair last year from marks work wearhouse. They are thin enough for most things but not all. They are a neoprene material and when wet don't really get cold and they breathe really well so you don't get wet hands from sweating. Best I have used. Paid 35 bucks or so

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast