Thread: Dirty Sock odor from new system

Post Likes

Dirty Sock odor from new system

Hi Guys,
    I have a new Trane 4WCY4042A1000AA Package heat pump just installed late in the summer. Cools fine and heats fine. Just has a bad odor coming from the unit smells sour like dirty gym socks in the heating mode and during defrost. What can I have done to get rid of the odor?
    Thanks,
    BJ

Post Likes
    Install the correct size heatpump

Post Likes
    Is it not the right size??????????? What would this have to do with the odor?

Post Likes
    You have some wet spots in the indoor coil area. You need to clean up the wet spots, sanitize and start over. Issues like condensate pan draining, water retention around brackets are the usuall issues. After you clean up the wet spots, it is critical throughly dry the entire wet area every day to prevent bacterial growth during the cooling season. I had the problem and had to go to operating the fan continuously during the cooling season. This dried out the cooling coil assembly during the off cycle. T-stat set-up when the home is unoccupied during the cooling season helps with drying time during the none cooling time. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Have the airflow verified.

Post Likes
    I'm sorry to respond to the pros on the condition about the size of the unit causing the dirty sock problem, I also have a Trane and it has this problem This is my second Trane and the first one did not have this problem it was 15 years old before I replaced it, This condition is common on HP because the heat produced is not hot enought to kill the baciteria on the coil which is caused by some of the things from the other post, gas packs donot get this,
    Now there are ways to correct this Replacing the coil with a coated one, cleaning the coil before with chemicals that destroy the bactria, or, putting UV lights in the supply or return of the system, I have done this, now it will take time to remove the odor, but it does help.. I hope I am not over stepping the Pros on this one..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in