Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

eac vs clean effects

Is the trane clean effects REALLY the best air cleaner on the market? I am fond of the old POPPING EAC.

In a work, YES. I had a EAC, I had to clean the post filter every 3 months. I removed the EAC & put in a Clean Effects, left the post filter inside the furnace where it had been with the EAC. Cleaned the C.E. in 3 months, post filter still clean. Checked it again at 6 & 9 months, still looked like it did after I cleaned it when the C.E. was installed. The post filter hasn't been in since.
    Also from a health stand point; last year the wife had the flu, you know the kind that last for several days and every one in the house is sick with it over the next week or so, nobody else in the house got sick. A month or so later I had the 24 hr stuff and again no one else got sick.
    Don't know what else you can say.

Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    In a work, YES. I had a EAC, I had to clean the post filter every 3 months. I removed the EAC & put in a Clean Effects, left the post filter inside the furnace where it had been with the EAC. Cleaned the C.E. in 3 months, post filter still clean. Checked it again at 6 & 9 months, still looked like it did after I cleaned it when the C.E. was installed. The post filter hasn't been in since.
    Also from a health stand point; last year the wife had the flu, you know the kind that last for several days and every one in the house is sick with it over the next week or so, nobody else in the house got sick. A month or so later I had the 24 hr stuff and again no one else got sick.
    Don't know what else you can say.
    ty thats great info.

My old Honeywell F50A EAC installed in 1981 but had a new power supply a few years back makes a dramatic effect on particle count when run a very short time. They can't be all that bad!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by doctordarnell View Post
    Is the trane clean effects REALLY the best air cleaner on the market? I am fond of the old POPPING EAC.
    The Clean Effects is the best whole house air cleaner on the market. The Trane Cleaneffcts collects dust, pet dander, mold spores, and particulates down to .1 mircon which include the common flu virus and the H1N1 virus. Also it is great on Asthma.

All electronic air cleaners are silly gimmicks which don't work properly half the time. (they need a lot of maintenance)

Get a basic media filter; the best way to keep the air clean is to stop polluting it.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by trane825 View Post
    The Clean Effects is the best whole house air cleaner on the market. The Trane Cleaneffcts collects dust, pet dander, mold spores, and particulates down to .1 mircon which include the common flu virus and the H1N1 virus. Also it is great on Asthma.
    What an outrageous statement. You have no proof whatsoever that the CleanEffects provides any protection from the common flu virus and the H1N1 virus. What is particularly offensive to me is your comment that the CleanEffects is "great on asthma." You are claiming a health benefit that is not substantiated in any study in the hopes that homeowners with asthmatic individuals will purchase this product.

Keeping a Clean Effects clean is like cleaning an EAC. After a while it will become a hassle. Air purifiers with throwaway filters ensures that after you change the filter you have a new, clean filter. Clean Effect air purifiers are like the electrostatic permanent filters which never get as clean as the day they were installed no matter how good you try to clean them. Besides cleaning the permanent part of a Clean Effects can make a new mess that you have to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by breathe easy View Post
    What an outrageous statement. You have no proof whatsoever that the CleanEffects provides any protection from the common flu virus and the H1N1 virus. What is particularly offensive to me is your comment that the CleanEffects is "great on asthma." You are claiming a health benefit that is not substantiated in any study in the hopes that homeowners with asthmatic individuals will purchase this product.
    Sssooo, studies done by Harvard arent credible enough? What else could you possibly want? Harvard DID do a study on the Clean effects and everything he mentioned, was proven in that study.

I prefer a media filter and a UV light. I can't stand the CleanEffects. Piece of crap and a pain in the a$$ to clean... Worst ever!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinapp View Post
    Sssooo, studies done by Harvard arent credible enough? What else could you possibly want? Harvard DID do a study on the Clean effects and everything he mentioned, was proven in that study.
    Would be very helpful (forgive our ignorance of the website or reference) if the studies done( by Harvard or any medical group )can be seen in any URL link..
    Thanks to all,

Here is the "white Paper" of the "study." It is done by Environmental Health and Engineering - a consulting firm owned by a Harvard Professor. The study was not done at Harvard.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Dow...%208.01.08.pdf

This is a great example of how correct, but unrelated, information can be used to confuse a point. The "study" does not show that the Cleaneffects is "great for asthma." It does two things:
    1. It shows a Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) for a product that does not have one. The CADR is for stand-alone air cleaners. The high CADR claimed for the CleanEffects is based on an installed unit running with a blower producing 1200 CFM. In actual fact the CleanEffects tested according to the CADR protocol has a 0 CADR.

2. The "study" proves nothing about the effectiveness of the CleanEFfects for an asthmatic. It references other studies that show high outdoor (and indoor) particle counts can lead to increases in asthma symptoms. Then it makes the assumption that decreasing particle counts with an air cleaner would lead to improved symptoms for asthmatics. There have been a number of studies done that disprove that assumption.

Making unsubstantiated health claims for indoor air products is bad for the industry. (it is also illegal and is regulated by the FDA and FTC)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by breathe easy View Post
    Here is the "white Paper" of the "study." It is done by Environmental Health and Engineering - a consulting firm owned by a Harvard Professor. The study was not done at Harvard.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Dow...%208.01.08.pdf

This is a great example of how correct, but unrelated, information can be used to confuse a point. The "study" does not show that the Cleaneffects is "great for asthma." It does two things:
    1. It shows a Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) for a product that does not have one. The CADR is for stand-alone air cleaners. The high CADR claimed for the CleanEffects is based on an installed unit running with a blower producing 1200 CFM. In actual fact the CleanEffects tested according to the CADR protocol has a 0 CADR.

2. The "study" proves nothing about the effectiveness of the CleanEFfects for an asthmatic. It references other studies that show high outdoor (and indoor) particle counts can lead to increases in asthma symptoms. Then it makes the assumption that decreasing particle counts with an air cleaner would lead to improved symptoms for asthmatics. There have been a number of studies done that disprove that assumption.

Making unsubstantiated health claims for indoor air products is bad for the industry. (it is also illegal and is regulated by the FDA and FTC)
    I agree with you 100% breat easy....thanks for the White Paper...it is very informational and a valuable reference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast