+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comparison shopping.

Post Likes

Comparison shopping.

We are planning on building in a community where natural gas runs about $1.50 / ccf (total: delivered and taxed) and electric is running about 6 cents / kwh. The electric is from Niagara Falls, NY and so I'm having trouble finding an upside to the going green or cost / pay back of using Geothermal and / or solar systems in the new construction. The lot has a deep pond with continuous feed from surface water. The location is souther tier of western NY (South of Buffalo). Any comments or suggestions?

Post Likes
    As long as your electric rate is that cheap. Hard to get a pay back on a Geo.

Post Likes
    If your pond is deep enough you can sink the loop in it, which makes the geo alot more affordable than having to trench or go vertical. Plus with the geo you will get a 30% uncapped tax credit which really helps on you ROI

Post Likes
    So, if you install a geothermal unit with a COP of ~4, your heating will cost you ~1.5¢/Kw of heat. Nat. gaz won’t cool your house.

SR

Post Likes

Hummmmmm

I'd like to see the calculations on how ROI is figured. 1.5 cents (how do you get a cents sign?) is an attractive number if we live there for the next 40 years which could be possible (we're late 40's & earlie 50's) so...

I know just enough to keep asking questions. Where should I look to get a better education on this before building?

Post Likes
    Get a couple estimates. And ask them for cost pay back/ROI projections.

Since an air to air. At a COP of 1.5(and that would be a very low COP for a new air to air heat pump) would give you a heating cost of .04 cents per KW.

You would probably be able to get an average COP of 2 to 2.3 from an air to air.

Post Likes

My 2¢

Quote Originally Posted by sala7 View Post
    I'd like to see the calculations on how ROI is figured. 1.5 cents (how do you get a cents sign?) is an attractive number if we live there for the next 40 years which could be possible (we're late 40's & earlie 50's) so...

I know just enough to keep asking questions. Where should I look to get a better education on this before building?

I’m just saying that’s what a kW of heating would cost. Crunch the numbers any way that suits you.

Regarding "¢", I can tell you how to do it if you’re on a Mac. If you’re on a PC, I’m not sure…

SR

Post Likes
    ALT + 0162

¢
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    that 1.5 cents won't stay that way.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    that 1.5 cents won't stay that way.
    Neither will anything else…it’s all relative…

SR

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in