Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I think the big thing that most homeowners don't understand is the "you touched it last, now you own it" unsaid rule.
    It doesn't matter how much verbiage is in your proposal about customer supplied equipment and parts, that customer still will expect you to go the extra mile to repair their internet purchased and rule of thumb sized equipment.
    Next thing we as contractors run into is the local news station, BBB, or lawyers knocking on our doors.
    We have learned over years that most of these types of customers do not appreciate our trade and business so the more qualified companies don't bother dealing with this type of customer.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Has anyone here, ever tried installing customer supplied equipment?
    I never have. But, if that's what it's gonna take to make a living in the future, I won't totally rule out that possibility.
    (Flame resistant suit, on!)
    We have in the past, but for the reasons Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann mentioned we no longer do it. In the end not worth it. I will rather pay shop time then then get entangled in these situations again.

Quote Originally Posted by chubot View Post
    We have in the past, but for the reasons Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann mentioned we no longer do it. In the end not worth it. I will rather pay shop time then then get entangled in these situations again.
    Yea. But it could work. You don't have to take on any work you don't feel comfortable with. Right? Not saying I'm gonna do this don't forget.

Has anyone here, ever tried installing customer supplied equipment?
    I never have. But, if that's what it's gonna take to make a living in the future, I won't totally rule out that possibility.
    (Flame resistant suit, on!)

Done it already.

Have done it that just the wholesale cost(regular supply house wholesale, not what the person paid some supply house for it) of the equipment was removed from the price.

And have done it that labor was charged out at 160 percent of normal.
    plus normal material mark up.

When just deducting wholesale price. They get a labor warranty on their unit( 1 year).

When just increasing labor. No labor warranty on their unit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yea. But it could work. You don't have to take on any work you don't feel comfortable with. Right? Not saying I'm gonna do this don't forget.
    You run into atleast one. That was fine with everything until. The dang indoor coil leaks. And they here the price to replace it.

Then its your fault. You must have done something wrong that its leaking already. And you did it to make more money off of them.

When people agree that their is no labor warranty on the equipment they provide. they do so. Thinking it WON"T break down.
    When it does, and they have to pay out more money. Their attitude often changes.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    Sometimes I take my own bottle of wine to a restaurant and they charge me corkage.

A lot different then providing your own HVAC equipment and material.

I can take my own premium motor oil to Jiffy Lube and they're happy to use it instead of theirs. (ie at the same total price).

If customers supplied their own higher end equipment and paid the identical price as though we sold it to them, many of us would have no problem installing it.

There are plenty of shops that will install Tire Rack tires. (but they obviously don't do it for free).

Most tire shops make more money mounting and balancing tires, then they do selling them.

If I buy a hot water heater from Home Crapo, they'll be glad to send over a plumber to install it for an additional fee.

Seen those kind of installs already.

I really don't understand why all the HVAC pros get so worked up over this.

If you were in the trade you would. But you have not gone through anything like this. So you don't understand.

If a homeowner provides the components then I would simply adjust the installation price upward to make it worth my time according to my business model. (ie to compensate for the $'s I didn't make on the sale of the components).
    Some are willing to pay the higher price. Some not. But there are still pitfalls to doing it.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    Only 5126 units left to report:

However who's the cutest?

The Goodman girl:

Or the Haier girl:

I'll vote for the Goodman girl - nice legs!!
    I'll put in one vote for the Haier Girl ......loks like the girl next door!
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-27-2009 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Removed links to direct purchase

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRx View Post
    < 1/2 of retail price?
    Retail price is meaningless.

Shipping is never "free".

I like how Goodman says right on there website "don't buy online it voids your warranty" yet they sell the crap out of it.

We don't do it period! I wish no contractors would. If you do it for that for every DIY we will be out of a living.

We just got a call just the other day about this. The guy told me he bought it online now NOBODY he has called will touch it and the retailer won't take it back. HAHA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    I think the big thing that most homeowners don't understand is the "you touched it last, now you own it" unsaid rule.
    It doesn't matter how much verbiage is in your proposal about customer supplied equipment and parts, that customer still will expect you to go the extra mile to repair their internet purchased and rule of thumb sized equipment.
    Next thing we as contractors run into is the local news station, BBB, or lawyers knocking on our doors.
    We have learned over years that most of these types of customers do not appreciate our trade and business so the more qualified companies don't bother dealing with this type of customer.
    nicely put.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Twilli bets that add is gone by Valentines day.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Old thread, thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345