Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    i dont know what Haier is, but hell, ill start installing it if she comes with the equipment lol
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Oh come on...the "call for" installed price from TX to NC was very intersting to me :-). nclicensing.org just must not have gotten around to adding them to their website, right?

Twilli says the Carrier pooolice must be in the Dunkin Donuts
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says the Carrier pooolice must be in the Dunkin Donuts
    Nah, they are too busy integrating Watsco.

Twilli says whats up?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Twilli, admitting pure ignorance as to "What's Up"

Things are good, had great riding weather today. Oh, did you mean the Watsco Thing, The Joint Venture they have entered into?

The customer you want does things right and pays a fair price for a good job. The customer you dont want buys stuff off ebay. (and goes through alot of trouble and ends up with problems) I have delt with this same thing on pool heat pumps. (servicing them NOT INSTALLING THEM)

I dont think its that big of a deal. The people buying equipment of ebay will learn a valuable lesson when they run into a bunch of trouble.
    In my case the customer i want likes to do things right and get a good job for a fair price with all the rebates and warranties.

The one area no one has touched on yet is weather or not these units this guy is selling on E-Bay are units that are still being manufactured. I have heard that if Carrier doesn't make or manufacturer the piece of equipment any more than that allows this guy and many others who may have access to them to sell online or thru other means as it doesn't interfere with Carrier sales since technically he's not competing directly with the Manufacture of the said equipment. JMO !!!

Why don't you pro's offer a price to install the equipment?

Tell the customer that you do not provide any warranty except your standard 1 year labor rate, and that the mfr does not provide a parts warranty on internet sales. The customer will have to be responsible for the parts warranty.

Write up a special contract for "Installation of Equipment Purchased off the Internet" if you have to.

You can make money on the installation, can't you?

Maybe this is an opportunity to increase your business.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post

Tell the customer that you do not provide any warranty except your standard 1 year labor rate, and that the mfr does not provide a parts warranty on internet sales. The customer will have to be responsible for the parts warranty.

Write up a special contract for "Installation of Equipment Purchased off the Internet" if you have to.

I'm sure the Pros will jump in here and say that for every installation they need to make $X. $X comes from markup on the equipment (ie $Y) + labor (ie $Z).

If they can't get $Y from the equipment markup then all of $X needs to come from labor on the install. ($Z now becomes $Z+$Y)

Therefore the homeowner should just do "one stop shopping" from the Pro and get the warranty.

What I don't understand is the all the fear and emotion from the Pros over online/EBAY sales. If it's DIY, that's a tiny segment of the market and likely to remain that way.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post

The difference as a pro we are responsible for the outcome, even if we just do the install the customer holds us accountable. Let’s just say the compressor is DOA the customer is going to say our fault and we are going to say no. That means we will have to bite the bullet and do the leg work to warranty if possible the compressor and replace it free of charge. If we do not do you think the HO is going to pay for the job. What if the HO picked a match up that has the wrong BTU’s or SHR for the home, who will be responsible for that.

Here is the bottom line the profit margin on just labor is not worth the effort period.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Here is the bottom line the profit margin on just labor is not worth the effort period.
    Thank you for calling it the way it is.

Take care.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast