Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Good point and a deal breaker. I would think that Carrier would be equally as strict w/ its warr requirements as Rheem, especially on a system as involved as the Infinity.

I actually read the Carrier warranty. All the homeowner has to do is register online and the parts warranty is good. However I doubt Carrier would provide any labor support for online purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    If one looks at the Rheem or Ruud website, it has a large 'warning' place to click on... Site says equipment purchase online will NOT be warranted... period.
    Then why is Rheem the second largest manufacturer embracing online sales? (second only to Goodman)

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    Then why is Rheem the second largest manufacturer embracing online sales? (second only to Goodman)
    I am not sure the manufacturer is the one embracing online sales... most of the time it is the distributors... There is a program going on to track where the unit was shipped... If the distributor is in Texas, and the unit is installed in Florida... then it probably was sold online... As I understand it, this is the reason for online registration... to track serial numbers.

I register the RUUD installs I do online for my customers... the warranty papers are sent to me first... I make a copy and send them along to the customer. The warranty slips that come with the unit say 5 years, if they are registered online, it is for 10 years...

We will see if the online thingy helps to reject warranties for online sales.

Again, it is not the factory that is pushing online sales.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I'm not sure why this is interesting to anyone except to an installer who cannot otherwise buy Carrier. The cost will be higher than to a dealer. So a homeowner who wants one will have to pay a higher cost to the eBay seller on top of paying a qualified installer. Net cost: higher. Plus the risk that you will take in using a non-Carrier installer.

It is more likely that the dealer involved is just using another online technique to broaden his marketing at very low cost for the listing. Anyone called him yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I am not sure the manufacturer is the one embracing online sales... most of the time it is the distributors.
    Embracing is probably the wrong choice of words. It seems like most of the manufacturers talk about dealer partnerships but look the other way when it comes to online sales. It's hard to turn down any venue for incremental sales and online doesn't seem like a real threat to the dealers.

In the case of Carrier, they could get Ebay to pull the listings just by claiming their DRM rights were violated. (the seller representing Carrier's warranty is probably sufficient grounds). Ebay will go along with any manufacturer's complaints about DRM violations whether they're valid or not.

My understanding is that the units sold online are not shipped directly from the manufacturer; rather from a distributor... or someone obtaining them from a distributor.

This way, the manufacturers can truly say it is beyond their control...

I think you are right though... the manufacturers could contact Ebay and put a stop to this...

Goes to that attitude of greed we talked about in a different thread... making money doing business in a questionable manor... (manufacturer consciously allowing sales of their product through terms that are not in the best interest of the buyer).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

i just left a goodman supplier i informed them of this problem of selling to the public he then gave me a letter directly from goodman which states any unit bought this way voids any factory warranty. i cannot believe carrier would allow this too much liability im from chgo dont know other states laws.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Look in order to properly install an infinity system you need specialized training from Carrier. If there is a problem you need to have access to Carrier technical assistance. If you want an extended warranty you need to have a certified Carrier contractor purchase and validate the policy.

Next good luck finding a qualified Carrier contractor to install equipment you purchased online. Next just try and find any qualified contractor to install equipment you purchased online.

Next how much money do you realistically expect to save; here is a clue you will end up spending more in the long run. Do yourself a favor and find a qualified contractor and get a quality system installed with a solid warranty.
    Couldnt have said it better myself. The internet has helped our industry, but it has also hurt it by people selling parts and equipment to unlicensed people.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Give us a link to where it is on ebay and it'll get reported and be gone quickly.

Better yet email Carrier about it.

Serial numbers `are tracked by distributors,warranty will be flagged in a different territory,when a claim is made,if not before.

Twilli couldn't find it on the bay.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Only 5126 units left to report:

However who's the cutest?

The Goodman girl:

Or the Haier girl:

I'll vote for the Goodman girl - nice legs!!
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-27-2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Removed links to direct purchase

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast