+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ecm motors?

Post Likes

Ecm motors?

Are ecm motors really worth it? It just seems like to me they only last a couple years and with the adjusted price of them compared to to standard motor along with the cost of our labor to install/replace is it really worth it? Seems like on a lot of them that I have seen they get so noisy due to bad bearings the customer does not even notice.

Post Likes
    I'm not a huge fan of ECM motors in refrigeration applications.

They lack durability and they are extremely expensive.

Unless the customer demands ECM motors, I install shaded pole motors.

Post Likes

bad bearings

Quote Originally Posted by mk#1in03 View Post
    Are ecm motors really worth it? It just seems like to me they only last a couple years and with the adjusted price of them compared to to standard motor along with the cost of our labor to install/replace is it really worth it? Seems like on a lot of them that I have seen they get so noisy due to bad bearings the customer does not even notice.
    ECM's work great on low static duct systems.The grease runs out of bearings because they get overheated from a plugged filter and or high static. They run for a longer time than a regular motor before they give up the ghost. They match up very well with dual compressor and 2 stage systems. The only thing that Iv'e seen psc motors have over ecm motors is that when the cage gets full of water and the motors get soaked I can dry out a psc motor and get it going again but the ecm motors are doa after soaking in a bath for awhile.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    ECM motors in a supermarket display case full of water = all dead motors. Power spike = all dead motors. Shaded pole R5611's no problem with any of these.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in