+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low Ambient Piston

Post Likes

Low Ambient Piston

I Have 3 15 ton cond air-cooled cond. units all 6 months old which all have 1 inch stroke low ambient pistons controlling the damper in the discharge duct. All units are having a problem running in cold weather by tripping on low pressure. All circuits have low press bypass timers. Does anyone think switching to a 2 inch stroke piston would be more responsive. Thanks for any responses.

Post Likes
    your profile doesn't give any indication why you would need this kind of info.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    I guess I never spent much time while registering to update any profile. I'm a service tech in NYC

Post Likes
    Assuming that your condition is a result of low head pressure, you may want to go with a motorized head pressure control system. I thought the old mechanical damper controls we obsolete.

You can talk to West at (212) 947-3100 for the details.

Regards
    Local 30 New York, New York Operating Engineer

Post Likes
    Thanks but we installed this equipment and I can't make any big modifications. I'd much rather use a pressure transducer with an actuator in the damper but I was wondering if a 2" stroke would be more responsive. The cond fan motor is 5 hp. I'll try Wes at industrial tomorrow. Thanks.

Post Likes
    I’m fairly sure the pricing will be similar for the motorized controls.

Post Likes
    I had a couple giving me grief last winter over at the brooklyn piers, the dampers were not closing completely on shut down, so the head would never get a chance to build up on start. Those were Carrier SCAV'S with after market low ambient dampers. After adjusting the dampers they were o.k.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the suggestions. Just tried the motorized actuator with a press transducer but the motor wouldn't respond fast enough causing my head and back pressures to drop. Going to get drives with transducers that should do it.

Post Likes
    Stanyoung,

If you are using the Belimo AMQB 24 actuator the stroke timming is adjustable on the motor.

Regards

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in