Santa Fe Compact for crawlspace?

I've been doing some reading...and would like to put a dehu in my crawlspace. The crawlspace is about 1350 square feet, and about 36" high in some places, more or less.

Would the compact be good enough? Currently the RH in there ranges from about 55-70% at 60F. I'd like to get the humidity down to under 50%, in the 40% range if possible. The dirt there is dry as a bone, like desert dry.

The vents are now sealed as well...

Is the Santa Fe compact something I can install myself? I'd like to have a pump that pumps the condensate outside to a drain, it sounds like that's an option to the Compact?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Id put down a VB before you but the dehu. You may not even need it then.

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Id put down a VB before you but the dehu. You may not even need it then.
    Agreed, If you seal that space up good you won't have any issues with moisture. What area are you in?

My concern with a VB (a sheet of visqueen?) is that condensation on the bottom side of the barrier will grow all sorts of yucky stuff. Is that an issue? Sorry if this is a stupid question, just learning and reading as much as I can...thanks.

Why would it be an issue! If the VB is sealed up the walls and all seams or sealed then nothing could get out.

A good vapor barrier on the earth up to the wall with taped seams, closed vents and a Santa Fe Compact will be a good combination to get to 50%RH. Moisture on the bottom of the vapor barrier will not grow mold if the vapor barrier is sealed air tight. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"