Clicking sounds all over the house

Hi
    since the heating season had begun I'm hearing strange clicking sounds all over the house. Sometimes they are so loud that they wake me up at nights. Strangly enough I didn't notice these sounds with my old low efficiency furnace. This year I have installed a new high efficiency one. It mostly works on the first stage. Sometimes I notice more clicking when it goes to the second stage.

Thanks.

What you are hearing is a new device that been install much like the clapper you see on tv.Just kidding.

Do you have a electronic air cleaner on the new system? Could it be the tstat making the clicking noise?

Could you narrow down just where the clicking noise is coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
    Could you narrow down just where the clicking noise is coming from?
    That's exactly my problem. I can't! It can be heard in one room then another then in the basement, then "inside" the furnace .... If I knew exactly where it's coming from I would be closer to the solution I guess. I actually just spoke with the installer. He said it's the ducts - extending and contracting because of the hot air. I can now assume why I didn't have this problem with the old furnace. The old furnace was running almost cold air. So it makes sence I guess. I'm just curious is that the way it's supposed be? It seems the least inconvenient and the most like living in the ghost house.

Maybe -

You have metal ductwork that was cold and now suddenly hot. It will pop on you. Should reach a happy point once it all heats up.

Quote Originally Posted by amsolo View Post
    Maybe -

You have metal ductwork that was cold and now suddenly hot. It will pop on you. Should reach a happy point once it all heats up.
    Exactly, due to thermal expansion. If the ductwork was held up by frictionless supports you'd hear nothing.

Maybe the installer left some scrap ductwork or tools inside???
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I'd get one of those little dial thermometers from a kitchen store. Measure four to six feet, from the outlet of your furnace and punch a little hole in the duct. Do the same on the return duct. Put thermometer in the duct and measure temperature, after it is in heat mode twenty minute. Immediatly measure temperature going into furnace at main return register. Post the Model and serial numbers and the two temperatures. Someone here should be able to tell if it appears to be set up correctly, and if you need a Pro to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    I'd get one of those little dial thermometers from a kitchen store. Measure four to six feet, from the outlet of your furnace and punch a little hole in the duct. Do the same on the return duct. Put thermometer in the duct and measure temperature, after it is in heat mode twenty minute. Immediatly measure temperature going into furnace at main return register. Post the Model and serial numbers and the two temperatures. Someone here should be able to tell if it appears to be set up correctly, and if you need a Pro to look at it.
    You see 20 minute heat cycles often madhatter?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Maybe, maybe not....

A lot of thermostats as well as the controls in the furnaces have small relays that click, at the beginning and end of cycles. One of the more common complaints about digital thermostats.

I also get clicking sounds but I have hot water, baseboard heat and its pretty common with that type of system, thermal expansion like the guy said.
    Not as common with forced air though, hmmmmmmmmmm?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Sounds like something my wife would say.

Use your ears. Pin point the click.

And don't rule out ghosts. Rattiling chains, and bumps in the night.

oroy54

Well if theres no ghosts in your house than ill tell you what, ive ran into this problem a few times, i dont do much resid work but i have alot of experience in many fields, alot of those high eff furnaces use a solid state delay on break timer linked into the pressure switch connected to the draft inducer built into the circuitry of the gas valve, very commonly honeywell, i have seen a hand full of instances (actually happened to my moms furnace last year, but very rare scenario) where the orfice in the draft inducer housing becomes partially blocked by some type of build-up inside the housing, what happens is the switch becomes balanced between being closed and open while the ignitor is heating up causing the gas valve pilot solenoid to open and close rapidly within the limits of the time delay, so the furnace doesnt get a code, once the furnace starts and the burners are on all the slight pressure difference from the combustion changes the pressure in the draft inducer and therfore the pressure switch causing the gas valve to stay open, i have also seen the gas valve open and close very quickly while the burners are on and the furnace continues to run fine, but to get to the point, this was the situation with my moms furnace, my mom lives on the first floor of my building and i live on the second and third floor. i would hear this weird clicking through the whole building during the night via the GAS PIPING, the sound was almost as loud in my kitchen behind my stove as it was right next to her furnace. pretty interesting i thought. hope this was of help to you.