+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "I am the 'Eater of Oil'"

Post Likes

"I am the 'Eater of Oil'"

I had to service this 62 year old behemoth the other day. Old Luxaire coal furnace converted to #2 oil. Could not find a crack at all in that heat exchanger, and I looked real good. It also had a 3.00gph nozzle in that thing. If anything, it's clean and runs great, even if its efficiency reading was 69%.

Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Post Likes
    wow...I'm not familure with oil, but isn't 3 gph ALOT?? Don't new ones run like .8?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    wow...I'm not familure with oil, but isn't 3 gph ALOT?? Don't new ones run like .8?
    3 GPH equates to 420,000Btu@100PSI pump pressure.

Some newer stuff does run as low as 0.45US GPH but with higher pump pressures comes higher BTU.

A large portion of heat from that burner goes up the chimney.

Reminds me of this TV commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGOy...eature=related
    Here's your sign...

Post Likes
    i say they need a new one, but then again i work as an installer at my shop so new ones == work for me

Post Likes
    Looks like the one off that Christmas movie the dad likes to cuss out. You know, the one where the kid gets a Red Rider BB gun and almost shoots his eye out.

Post Likes
    Last one like that I worked on like that was about 12 years ago. 1951 Lennox converted from coal to oil, I coverted it to gas, flame like the gates of hell. Had a water loop for domestic hot water and base board heat for a finished attic. HO helped in original install, wouldn't let any one touch it but me. Ho said since the furnace and I were near the same age we had a bond, "righht". Pulled maintenace on it for about 5 years. Big crouching rumbling monster in the basement with red eyes. I was allways thinking, "IT WANTS TO EAT ME !"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craigofva View Post
    i say they need a new one, but then again i work as an installer at my shop so new ones == work for me
    I'd say they need a new one too, but on the day of demo'ing that one my back would make me call in sick! lol
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    I thought they only exist on text book and in the museum...

I would not want to haul one of those beasts out of the basement. It can stay there for good with that monster of a nozzle. The biggest nozzle on oil furnace I've ever service so far was 1.25 gph on riello burner...

Post Likes
    My parents had a 1927 boiler than ran until the end of last winter. That thing was a monster - 1-1/4" main gas line, 1/8" (?) pilot line, both lines had cutoffs. Ran steam (not hot water), all asbestos insulation, covered ~3600sf. Can't move the bloody thing out of the basement, would have to cut it apart and maneuver it around the new furnace and load-bearing clay-tile wall.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in