Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which heat pump brand is the best?

Post Likes

Which heat pump brand is the best?

I should have asked this question in the first place, then started shopping. So far I've gotten quotes on Lennox (XP19 & XP16), Carrier (Comfort paired with Performance handler/thermostat), and Trane (but not really sold on them).

Will be exploring York soon. Possibly Amana. But I'd like to hear how y'all think these and others stack up against each other.

I'm looking to purchase a (most likely) 4-ton, 2 stage unit with air handler and thermostat. Taking out humidity, noise, effiency, and reliability are important to me.

Thank you!!!!!!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    While most dealers are biased to one brand of equipment or another {I'm a Trane man myself} the dealer actually makes the most difference. You can take the best equipment ever made, do a poor install on it, and it will be the biggest most expensive junk you could have bought, or you can take a cheap unit, install it to best practices and it will probably last just fine. My experience with equipment seems to be the more expensive equipment is built heavier, sturdier than the less expensive brands {try and lift one or push it over}. I've installed most brands over my 30+ yrs and one of the main reasons for my preference is more service oriented and which design makes more sense to me from a mechanical stand point. While cost is an important issue, the unit must fit your budget, the operating and repair cost can excede the installed cost, sometimes by a lot. Get references, check out the energy star and ACCA websites, and ask questions {the websites will help you knkow what questions to ask}.
    Hope this helps.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    For the humidity here in Florida,check out the Carrier Infinity.

Comfort two stage outdoor unit is less dollars and a good buy also,tax credit of $1500.00.

Call Weather Engineers and ask for Nathan.

Post Likes
    Which Carrier unit is better suited for zoning, Comfort vs Infinity?

Post Likes
    All the brands you have quotes on are good. You want to get the best installation possible. And the best contractor that stands behind his work. Check with the BBB and go by and look at some of his work if possible. You want the system to last a long time. The service you get will determine this.
    Blue Fox

Post Likes
    See, the company that quoted me for an nonvariable speed handler is a company that has a really good reputation. We've used them for service and repair for years and have always been impressed. They are nearly always the first for others to recommend.

Post Likes
    Get the absolute best contractor you can find and then accept the brand/model that they recommend.

(ie HVAC brands are far less important then contractor brands.)

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    Variable speed is the minimum.
    Make sure you get a load calc and humidity controll
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    Get the absolute best contractor you can find and then accept the brand/model that they recommend.

(ie HVAC brands are far less important then contractor brands.)
    DITTO!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    Variable speed is the minimum.
    Make sure you get a load calc and humidity controll
    Ditto.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    Stupid question... but would you all be concerned about a company if the sales guy said things that didn't quite make sense, but the technicians were known for doing a good job? The company that suggested the non-v-s handler and seems to contradict what a lot of you have stated is also known as highly regarded. Of the many people I have asked for feedback from, they are definitely the most often suggested. As I said in an earlier post, we've been happy with their service and repair. This company was the first called for quotes on a new system. The techs gone out of their way to help us out, beyond their work (one guy very patiently explained to me how to rig up my drainage lines -- which are problematic -- on my own if I wasn't going to replace the system within 6 months; another guy came out on a repair call and instead of charging me to fix the problem (I'd just had them out the day before), he spent nearly an hour rigging up my motor so that it could work temporarily and buy me time in getting a new system). The sales guy also told me that if I officially decide to go with them, he will have his guys come out and get my A/C working temporarily while I wait for my install date (it will be at least a week before I can get a new system installed by them).

One of the other companies I got quotes from has also gotten praise, though interestingly b/c my friend was happy that they suggested a larger unit. My sales rep from this company is the one who said he wouldn't sell me anything smaller than a 5 ton, and he also said he didn't need to do a heat load calc. The other company I talked to is a national company with a local franchise.... haven't heard anything good or bad about them, although it bothered me a little that the sales guy was dogging on the first company that gave me quotes.

Post Likes
    "Taking out humidity, noise, effiency, and reliability are important to me."

Of course the load calc is a good starting point, but also have someone take a critical look at the duct system. Money spent there, where needed, is always a better investment than better equipment. IMHO.

'Stupid question... but would you all be concerned about a company if the sales guy said things that didn't quite make sense, but the technicians were known for doing a good job? "

One of my competitors has a couple real good crews and their salesman is always hamstringing them with what he sells. Square peg, round hole thing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ggcampbell View Post
    em).

One of the other companies I got quotes from has also gotten praise, though interestingly b/c my friend was happy that they suggested a larger unit. My sales rep from this company is the one who said he wouldn't sell me anything smaller than a 5 ton, and he also said he didn't need to do a heat load calc. The other company I talked to is a national company with a local franchise.... haven't heard anything good or bad about them, although it bothered me a little that the sales guy was dogging on the first company that gave me quotes.
    All danger signs. Putting in a bigger unit than needed reduces efficiency (like putting a Mack Truck engine in a small car) and dehumidification capability. It also increases air noise in the ducts and registers and usually sound levels at the outside unit.

We have 2 local branches of national companies in my area. I would not buy a bag of manure from them. They are very pushy and expensive.

Post Likes

Hmm Oversizing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    All danger signs. Putting in a bigger unit than needed reduces efficiency (like putting a Mack Truck engine in a small car) and dehumidification capability. It also increases air noise in the ducts and registers and usually sound levels at the outside unit.

We have 2 local branches of national companies in my area. I would not buy a bag of manure from them. They are very pushy and expensive.
    With a 2 stage unit, oversizing is not that big of issue, a majority of the time, the unit will be running on low stage. If heat pump, oversizing, may be advantage, with higher capacity, less time running Aux. heat!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superheatrman View Post
    With a 2 stage unit, oversizing is not that big of issue, a majority of the time, the unit will be running on low stage. If heat pump, oversizing, may be advantage, with higher capacity, less time running Aux. heat!
    Less of a problem, true. But a properly sized 2 stage will give better comfort and efficiency than an oversized 2 stage.

Post Likes
    I won't say it is the best but the controls are unbelievable with the Carrier or Bryant. 2 stage scroll you won't go wrong. I don't know if there is the best every brand has it's down fall. National chain or not GOOD techs are expensive. Religion Manual J, Manual D.
    Aint Notin Sweeter, Then A Brand New Heater!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    The only reason your AC guy would say that you don't need a load calculation is because he does not know how to do one. It is real easy for him to guess with your money.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseRx View Post
    Infinity,two stage compressor,no doubt!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseRx View Post
    Infinity -- they make controls which have zoning built-in. With the Comfort series you'd have to use aftermarket controls which would be unaware of how the system is actually running.

Post Likes
    I recently bought my new infinity,two stage compressor I definitely voted for Infinity,two stage compressor just I tried. I much prepared for it because it has a good feature than comfort series that's what I noticed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in