Thread: WTF??

WTF??

Hey all, maybe I'm missing something stupid here.

I am looking at a Goodman furnace that has run fine for 2 years (my own home) and has recently started acting up. On a call for heat, the id motor will turn on for a few seconds, and then turn off. After watching it, I am seing that the control board is actually powering down. A few seconds later, the board comes back up, and the cycle repeats.

I have verified voltage, polarity, and amperage to the unit.
    I have bypassed the t-stat
    I have bypassed every limit individually to make sure I didnt have some kind of shorting or any other oddities there
    I have seen the id motor run fine when I pull a limit and the unit goes into its "purge" mode
    I have double checked all grounding
    I have pulled an entirely different power source
    I have configured the unit to run in both single and two stage (in case the problem was in the algorhythm)
    and last but not least;
    I have replaced the board only to have the problem re-apear a week later.

Now I tend to be a guy who overcomplicates things from time to time, so please tell me I'm missing something simple!

Sorry but the site does not offer diy advice or help. The best advice is call a reputable service company to have a look at it.

I'm not a diy guy.
    4 years as a tinner ,6 years hvac tech, and 4 years as a controls tech.

senior tech, he probably does not realize this is an "open" forum, therefore the need not to address "DIY" questions.

ryant: don't take it personally. Understand there are places within the forum you can pose this question that does not allow "open access."

consider the fact that even though YOU are capable of performing the troubleshooting, someone "looking over your shoulder" on the site may not be as mechanically inclined.

All the best, irish

p.s. senior, not trying to overstep, but trying to help.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

No offense taken. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, this was just the first board that seemed to fit my question.

provide your credentials for the mods, and get access to the pro forums. You will be amazed at the wealth of information available to you from your contemporaries as well as the willingness to share that information.

we're all in this together

good luck!

Irish
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.