Goodman & Honeywell Vision Pro Short Cycling

Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering if someone can let me know if there is a mult-speed setting on the honeywell Vision Pro 8000. I have also read a few issue of people's furnaces short cycling with this thermostat. Just wondering how to resolve this?

My current furnace is running every 15min to 20min. When I look at the thermostat it says 23 and my house is at 23.

Lastly for a Single-Stage, Mutli-speed 91 efficent furnace 115,000 btu what setting should I be using on the Honeywell

Appreciate the help
    Thanks Terry

Who installed this system? Why arent you asking them? If you really want DIY help, take the thermostat off the wall and call the phone # on the back.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

There are several possibilities with your setup for short cycling. I don't know what you mean by multi-speed setting though. It's possible that when the heat comes on there is a vent not far from the T-Stat and when the warm air hits the stat it turns off. But the house is not really satisfied so it comes back on very quickly when the furnace shuts off. The vision Pro stats work off about a 1/2 degree swing so you may not see the actual temperature move even though it's bringing the heat back on. Is this a new system or new T-stat that has recently been installed?

I hope you have a very large or poorly insulated house, since 115k (104k output) is a lot of heat.

Check the t-stat cycles per hour setting in the installer's menu - I recommend 3.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    I hope you have a very large or poorly insulated house, since 115k (104k output) is a lot of heat.

Check the t-stat cycles per hour setting in the installer's menu - I recommend 3.
    The IAQ I have runs the furnace frequently for short periods and the back rooms get cool since the tstat shuts off when it hits setting. Which 3 do you recommend, AMD? The HW tstat (I assume his has the same settings as my IAQ) has both:

CPH for 1st Stage Conventional Heat or Auxiliary
    CPH for 2nd Stage Conventional Heat or 2nd Stage Auxiliary

Another question is about the DFHP balance point when the HP -> NG furnace. Would I get longer run times by both changing the CPH AND moving the balance point to a lower temp? The NG furnace was up-sized from 88,000 -> 100,000 Btu due to furnace size options. I assume that the HP would take longer to raise the temp thus allowing more run time.

PS: No outdoor temp sensor.

Since you have a gas furnace, both should be set to 3, as the furnace and heatpump aren't designed to run simultaneously. (defrost cycles are an exception)

*Setting the second stage CPH to 6 would increase the number of times the HP has to shut off to allow the furnace to operate. Use of an outdoor sensor to lock out the heatpump below the balance point can eliminate this issue.

There's no harm in setting the second stage CPH setting to 5-6 if the aux heat is electric. (High cycle rate = less dramatic temperature swings)
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Since you have a gas furnace, both should be set to 3, as the furnace and heatpump aren't designed to run simultaneously. (defrost cycles are an exception)

Thought I should check my IAQ tstat settings. I was wrong about the second stage value for 250 tstat setting. I couldn't even get to it since it was automatically skipped in the setup. The reason is that I have the 176 setting or the Number of Conventional Heat or Heat Pump Aux Stages at 1. (I also have the 200 setting at 1 for Fossil fuel backup heat.)

I have a York Affinity HP and 80%, VS, modulating, NG furnace. Is my 176 setting correct for this system? It is my understanding that the backup/ auxiliary heat/Emergency Heat (tstat terminology) is only 1 stage but the smart furnace control board takes care of any staging or more correctly modulating from 50-100%. Right? Wrong?

Also, I wanted to repeat my 2nd question below about furnace .vs. HP run times: Another question is about the DFHP balance point when the HP -> NG furnace. Would I get longer run times by both changing the CPH AND moving the balance point to a lower temp? The NG furnace was up-sized from 88,000 -> 100,000 Btu due to furnace size options. I assume that the HP would take longer to raise the temp thus allowing more run time.

PS: I put the 240 setting for CPH for 1st Stage Conventional Heat or Auxiliary to 3 as you recommended.

The balance point setting should corespond with the actual balance point of the system. (temp at which heatpump must run continuously to keep up)

I can't answer your other questions since I don't know how your system was set up - the outdoor unit could be handling dual fuel operation.