+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inputs requiring external resistor/jumper?

Post Likes

Inputs requiring external resistor/jumper?

I was having a conversation with someone about powered inputs and on the topic I had remembered Circon UHC series had a jumper switch and they guy said with Distech you need to add the external resistor. I think XL800 modules need external resistor... so the question what do the other vendors do?

Post Likes
    They are probably talking about converting a 0-20 mA signal to 0-5 volts (w/ 250 ohm resistor), or 0-10 volts (using a 500 ohm resistor). Companies like ALC can handle 0-20 mA inputs, while Novar cannot (need external resistor to convert to voltage).

Post Likes
    Don't forget ABB Drives D+ and Dcom.

Post Likes
    Schnider Electric(TAC) needs resistor to convert 0-10v to 4-20ma.
    CSI uses resitor to determind hte input value, these are built into the programmable boards.
    Distech uses resistors for there 4-20ma input signal.
    Distech also has jumper for output of 4-20ma or 0-10vdc
    Circon older controllers need the resistors for conversion also.

Lontshooter

Post Likes
    KMC uses 'pullup' resistors. Rocker switches on the boards.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

Post Likes
    Delta uses dip switches that apply different resistances.

Post Likes
    RyanT,

When did Delta change to dip switches? All the controllers from Delta I have dealt with use jumpers for input/output configuration.

Delta - Jumpers
    Reliable - Dipswitch (M1/M2) Jumpers (VAV/Zone/Stat) - Ext Resistor (4-20mA)
    tac Andover - Dipswitch
    Alerton - Jumpers
    Autmoated Logic - Jumpers
    tac Xenta - Software IIRC
    JCI - Jumpers

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Kontrolphreak,
    maybe I'm using the wrong term here. The inputs on all the newer (V3.22 and up) stuff use switches that are a bit larger than a typical dip, but I dont know what else to call them. On the switch, the installer can choose between 4-20, 10k, 5v and 10v.

Post Likes
    I always setup my inputs for voltage and use an external resistor to convert - 4-20mA signals to 1-5VDC or 2-10VDC (depending on the controller). That way I can troublshoot down the line easier with a meter rather than having to do the stupid put your meter in series with the signal thing....Just my $.02

Post Likes
    JustJohnson- Ask yourself which method is more susceptible to inaccuracy over distance? (0-10 or 4-20)

--- now somebody here will tell you I'm just sales... but ignore that guy for now.

Post Likes
    NDIO boards too...

Post Likes
    AHHHH! I'm deleriously tired. Delta uses jumpers, not dips. Not sure where my head was there!

Post Likes
    justjohnson - current remains the same over the entire circuit. go with 4-20 for distances. and there are meters that will read 4-20 without getting in series.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    JustJohnson- Ask yourself which method is more susceptible to inaccuracy over distance? (0-10 or 4-20)

--- now somebody here will tell you I'm just sales... but ignore that guy for now.
    It's true. But it's TECHNICAL sales.

Post Likes
    now maybe I'm in for a lesson here - but aren't the dipswitch/jumpers on some controllers just adding/subtracting the resistor into the electrical circuit before the A/D converter just like I add an external resistor? All controllers actually measure voltage - even when using a resistance temp sensor - they send out a reference voltage and the returning voltage calculates to a resistance which equals a temperature. I've not had accuracy problems with mA devices with an external resistor at the controller. Now a device that generates a voltage signal at the device over long runs (>200+ feet) I agree with you you get resistance added because of the wire run and your voltage signal is skewed. Perhaps I'm missing something but that's the way I've always done it and I don't have problems with it.

Post Likes
    JJ- You are 100% correct.

Everyone on this board knows that a current signal won't degrade since it's a closed loop system.

Your assumptions about resistors are right on the money- You can add them yourself or switch/jumper them in if the manufacturer spent the extra 15 cents to make the input selectable. Either way there is no difference electrically.

Of course you want to make sure you're using a resistor that's +- 1% or less- Those cheap 5% resistors are never worth it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in