Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Run Cap Bandit Visits Ohio

RCB was here, changing a condenser fan motor on a York. He couldn't figure out that pesky three wire fan motor wiring so he jimmied it but good. At the bottom of the pic, under the compressor, is a live 120V wire (one leg of the 220) with just tape over it (no nut, and shouldn't have been disconnected anyway):

I re-wired it back to factory and relocated the run cap to it's correct place in the control box. I also straightened out the 220V wires and remounted them to the suction rather than the discharge line. (See other thread "Mounting Straps and Ties are for Suckers")

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Some people are just lazy, it takes less time to do a job right...

You have to know how to do the job right, before you can do it in less time.

I'm surprised he didn't attached the box the cap came in

Capacitor in the box just sends me over the edge!!! I see that crap all the time and other techs say Im too picky but I just believe in doing it right it makes my job easier later on.

I am the RCB muahaha. And Yes! I have no idea what I'm doing!

careful with strapping wire

you can get into trouble strapping wires to the copper. Copper is vibrating, wears hole in insulation of wire, dead short. Seen this happen on units from the factory too. I never strap wires to the copper.

Quote Originally Posted by bribone View Post
    you can get into trouble strapping wires to the copper. Copper is vibrating, wears hole in insulation of wire, dead short. Seen this happen on units from the factory too. I never strap wires to the copper.
    For sure. Had to fix more than one where the wire chaffed and shorted to the copper line making one helluva mess.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Quote Originally Posted by bribone View Post
    Wires have to be strapped tight to the suction line of a compressor or they will rub if left loose eventually short. You'll find this info from copeland in there tech data on replacements...

Think about it, every single Lennox unit has the compressor wires TIGHTLY zipped tied to the suction line. Carrier units with the big door on one side are the same way (dont know the model number). When have you replaced any compressor and not had to cut the tie for the compressor wires when replacing a compressor to keep from melting them?

I just walked outside to verify what I was thinking. I went to all the neighbors units (condos) because theres are easy to see. So I took a pic..

Sorry its in black and white I was taking a pic for my avatar and forgot to turn it off. Anyway thats a factory zip tie. I dont doubt you have seen one of these short but we are talking probably a million plus units pretty much everything with a Copeland compressor is like this from the factory...

"Well dangit! Someone's been here! I told 'em it was only temporary, 'til I got back from Wal-Mart! What am I gonna do with this Tupperware box?"

and white zip tye's aren't UV resistant. so stick with the black one's
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Pardon my ignorance but what is the loop in the liquid line for? Oil return? Is it factory?

Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but what is the loop in the liquid line for? Oil return? Is it factory?
    Sound dampening. That's the gas discharge line. "MAY BE FACTORY OR FIELD-INSTALLED".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast