Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This was the old Williamson Temp-O-Matic, it was installed by my Dad in 1977, the furnace was way under sized for the addtion 2 story home that was added on. (Furnace was 62k A/C was 1 1/2ton) So, a wood furnace was added on, and my parents burned wood for almost 15 years(lot of wood cutting and hauling in my young days). They only used the gas for back up. You can see my hand mark from touching the hot duct work from the wood stove at one time!

This was the outdoor unit.. It worked well, but under sized for the added 2 story home, so couldn't keep up on our hot summer days upstairs. The paint peel on the top was from the unit sitting in the box outside for 3 years befoe dad installed it. (Don't know why dad didn't install this right away? We did the whole house pretty much oursleves)

New (this was done 2 years ago) Trane furnace installed, dealer cleaned the duct work (Lots of dust, and stuff from wood burning, and remodel.. Sorry no pix) Dealer told Dad best to keep the wood furance for back up and still was in good shape.. My parents hasn't fired up the wood furance since the new furnace was put in.

The return was cut into the return drop to allow better air flow since the duct was popping in when it turned on

Exhaust vent. I like the ideal Trane done. sure not an eye sore like some of the other guys do.

New XL12 outdoor unit. 2 1/2 ton w/ TXV valve, The house has been very comfortable after this was installed. electric bill went down half!

[Edited by mayguy on 01-12-2004 at 10:47 AM]

Good looking job,did you do the sheet metal fab yourself?

Bryant,

I'd love to take the credit.. But, no I didn't do the job. My parents had a Trane Dealer in my Hometown do the project. they did a good job, and hear lot of good words from other people how good of a job they do.

I like the vent. Do you have any info on it, cost, part number or what it takes to install? I’ve always hated the look of the two PVC pipes sticking out the side of the house.

Originally posted by smokeeater 38
    I’ve always hated the look of the two PVC pipes sticking out the side of the house.

Ditto!!

"Do you have any info on it, cost, part number or what it takes to install"

I didn't install this, the Trane Dealer did. So, I don't have any info.. Sorry. :-(

I think this is part of Trane's set up. All of the new Trane I've seen installed around here has that type of exhaust vent hood.

Install of this seems easy. Drill your hole though the wall for the fresh air, and exhaust PVC pipe.

Then slide a supprt bracket over the pvc, and screw it to the house.

Cut the pipes flush to the bracket, then install the cover on top of pvc.

Fresh air comes in around the back side of the first plate.. about an 1" all around between the first plate, and wall.. And exhaust blows out on the opening you see.

There is 4 sets of screw on the corners, so you can unscrew the cover to get behind to clean out the pipes if you had to.

The lozenge vent cover is a bayvent200a, if I recall correctly. High eff gas furnace, my favorite changeout.
    I've noted that the insatll instructions spec 3' spacing on vent pipe hangers to prevent sagging, which I had been guilty of not doing in times past.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

The vent termination kit is a Bayvent 200B. It works with either 2" or 3" PVC. If you are running 2" PVC, you will need to increase to 3" about a foot before the side of the house. Dealer cost is about $20. We've only used it with Trane furnaces. I don't know about using it with other brands.

Nice vent termination, but what's the off ground clearances.

Most manufactures require that the vent termination is 12" above ground or normally expected snow accumulation levels.

Not trying to be negative, but where is the gas shut off, condensate trap, & cleanout?

Other wise it looks like a nice install, even the old one looked good for being a 1977 install.

its nice.Hey any self respecting contractor will give u a job like that far as im concerned.P v c vent looks a little out of whack and the condensor doesnt seeem 100& level but id say nice job.

I'm sure it's not approved by other brands but I've used it on a Rheem 90. Only problem we have is coming out of the basement, we have to go up above the snow line so doing it like this job would be a problem.

"Most manufactures require that the vent termination is 12"

This one is about 8" off of the ground. They haven't had any trouble of the 3 years they had it here in Minnesota's winter snow.

I think these don't have to be as high cuz air is drawn in around the back side, not a pipe stuck into the snow bank sucking up the snow.

" where is the gas shut off, condensate trap, & cleanout?"

The gas shut off was just back of the furnace where the copper line was taken off of the old black pipe.

The gas line was shortly updated after the picture was taken with the yellow flex, so the shut off now right next to the furnace... They redid the whole house since my parents added a gas burning fireplace/stove in the basement, and ready for a furture gas place in the old wood burning fireplace on the main floor.

There is no traps. it all runs free down to the floor drain.

"old one looked good for being a 1977 install."
    Yeah, I was pretty proud of my dad's work. He doing the work then. He used to work for a sheetmetal shop who sold Williamson then. Took him some time to finish off the job! :-( We used the wood burning fireplace for a whole winter! A few cold mornings tho!

"P v c vent looks a little out of whack and the condensor doesnt seeem 100"

OUt of whack? Not sure what you mean? If you are meaning it's too low from the ceiling, then it cuz the return duct is coming around back to the furnace. and there is no clearnace between the ductwork, and joist. This end of the home was built in '54 and was a Modular type home then. They used 2 by 4 for floor joist then.

The Condensor is level, just the angle of the camera.

[New XL12 outdoor unit. 2 1/2 ton w/ TXV valve, The house has been very comfortable after this was installed. electric bill went down half!

Check to see that they paid for an XE 1200 and not an XL1200. The condensor is the less expensive XE model. I do agree that the installers have taken pride in their work on this job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast