Which pex crimper??

I don't do any pex but I have a job that I need to hook up some pex tubing. Should I just use sharkbites or buy the tool. If I get the tool I may take on some more plumbing jobs. I did some checking tonite and the prices are all over the place on these things. Do I want an all in one type or one for each size?

I just have the Crimping blocks, since I don't get into it too often. Couple of other things you need Go / No Go tool, and a Ring cutter, aka Ring buster. The multi tools are too long IMO, and are hard to get into tight areas. I get my stuff from PexConnection.com

Quote Originally Posted by rooftop tech View Post
    I don't do any pex but I have a job that I need to hook up some pex tubing. Should I just use sharkbites or buy the tool. If I get the tool I may take on some more plumbing jobs. I did some checking tonite and the prices are all over the place on these things. Do I want an all in one type or one for each size?
    i use the cinch clamps. i think they are called odiker. the tool will do from 1" down to 3/8". no changing heads. shark bites are nice, but pricey. also i would not put them inside a wall, i have had a couple leak after time. the tool if i remember right is only around 60 bucks.

Don't do that much PEX the tool we have is from Lowes under a hundred does 3/8 through 1" I think. We only use 1/2
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by rooftop tech View Post
    I just rented the good ones from home depot for about ten bucks for the one time I have ever used pex

Homeowner across the street just got a tool at harbor freight. If it's a rare occurence, use that one.

The oetiker clamps crimp the pipe much tighter than the copper rings. One tool fits all, easier to get in tight spaces.

I've got a combo for 1/2 and 3/4 that works great 99.5% of the time. Other times it's a little cramped.

Borrowed the oetiker clamp tool for the rare 1" job. I've go a soda machine to put in - they use tiny oetiker clamps on those lines.

http://www.oetiker.com/content.asp?l=4&idNavig=1 they have a plant in Michigan.

I use the Oetiker clamps (stainless ratchet rings) only in very tight quarters, and for temporary jobs (they can be removed and reused. The stainless rings are pricey if you are doing a big job.
    The crimp rings are much cheaper. Don't get the big tool that looks like a bolt cutter. It works just fine in the open, but you are limited in actual use. There is not enough "swing" inside a cabinet, behind a toilet, etc. to operate the clamps.
    Get the one with the offset ratchet head. It costs a few bucks more, but works almost anywhere and makes good crimps. I prefer one crimper for every size instead of the multi tool, but that's just me.
    I also shop at www.pexconnection.com
    Download their catalog. The first several pages tell you all about the differences in PEX and the various tools and systems used to join it together.

I have done numerous repair jobs and completely plumbed 3 or 4 houses with PEX, not a single leak. I will no longer use anything else.