+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What other options are there besides Waterfurnace

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

What other options are there besides Waterfurnace

I'm new here so please don't be to harsh if this is a repost or common knowledge to everyone else.

I'm about to start consturction in the spring on our new house (in Maryland) and I am setting appointments now with all subs and the only brand of geothermal system I can find is WaterFurnace Envision.

Who else has Geo Thermal systems?

Is there a site that has reviews/comparissions of the different systems.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    climate master, econair. two that we use besides water furnace

Post Likes
    GeoComfort and Hydron Module. Both are manufactured by Enertech Mfg.

Bergy

Post Likes
    Florida Heat Pump FHP
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

Post Likes

Few options

We can get Waterfurnace although our rep is very slow to get back to us. FHP has one of the oldest branches in our city, therefore they are the orneriest to deal with. They do not answer questions well, some of their equipment has serious defects in my opinion. For example: a cupronickel coil that is connected with large, thin copper fitting that get eaten up at the slightest hint of sulphur. Why would you want a durable coil and have fittings that are absolutely weak?

Climatemaster apparently does not want to sell to us in Jacksonville FL, I have contacted them numerous times.

Post Likes

Waterfurnace Versatec Evaporator Coil Leaks

Three years ago we installed two Waterfurnace Versatec systems (dual zoned) for a new construction home. They have been under a maintenance agreement by the installer since they were installed. They cost about $30,000and up until recently, we were pleased with the systems.

A couple of weeks ago, in unseasonably cold weather, the downstairs unit stopped blowing hot air. The installer sent a technician. He said it was a coil leak in the compressor, and would cost $1,800 ($1,500 with the maintenance agreement discount) to replace. Two days later, the upstairs system did the same thing. The technician said it was also a manufacturing defect, and both were leaking in approximately the same place, from the sealed coils. We got a second opinion from another local Waterfurnace dealer. We were told the same thing. It was a manufacturing defect. The original installer called WF. They were told the part was made in Canada, so it was not their problem, they just put it into the unit. And the coils only had a 1 year warranty. Tough luck. The other local company called WF, too. Tough luck. We have replaced one unit ($1,500) and are waiting the week it takes for the part to come from Canada to replace the other 3-year old unit. Any cost savings in utility bills have gone up in smoke, plus, plus.

Waterfurance's literature about Versatec highlights how reliable the equipment is. Does this sound reliable? I understand this part is not unlike the coils on a refrigerator. My old Kenmore refrigerator ran for over twenty years. My new one is trouble-free after ten years. We would recommend and buy Kenmore again. No so with Waterfurnace. Not now. I am worried that the replacement coils on the Versatec systems will fail again.

My husband agrees it is a manufacturing defect. He is a professor of aerospace engineering at a large SE University and knows a bit about machinery. We are hanging onto the two defective parts, as I suspect these may not have been the only questionable units that came off the assembly line that day. There could be more coils that have failed or are about to fail, saddling the consumers with expensive repairs. Has anyone else had this problem?

Post Likes
    If im not mistaken water furnace is also sold under different names as well.
    I looked into selling them and never got a call back.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    The coils on the downstairs unit have failed, once again. (I have attempted to quote the original post with this message.) If it does not work, search on my messages posted by Williamsburg from last year.

My husband and the current HVAC company want to yank out both geothermal systems and send them to the dump, even though they are about 6 years old. Talk about a waste of money and anguish...

Has anyone had any experience with Climatemaster residential systems?

My vote is to forget geothermal and install high-efficiency conventional systems. They seem to go forever.

Williamsburg
    (Who thinks geothermal is for the birds)

Post Likes

Geo system

Every time that I've seem a heatexchanger on a Geo go out is because the loop is not done correctly. I would be more than happy to help any way. My email is kellerhvac@gmail.com. Do you know how the loops are laid out or anything like that? And climatemaster is a good unit by the way. Not what I sell, but a good unit never the less.

Post Likes
    A knowledgeable tech with a well equipped shop can fabricate/install a gshp or wshp from component parts that likely will outperform the best of the commercial units for less that the commercial unit list price.

However, to get most rebates or incentives (which can be appreciable, aka $1500 or so) the unit usually has to be ARI rated, which limits selection to the production units where th mfg has paid big bucks for the testing.

Post Likes
    A knowledgeable tech with a well equipped shop can fabricate/install a gshp or wshp from component parts that likely will outperform the best of the commercial units for less that the commercial unit list price.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-24-2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Removed link

Post Likes
    Just found this subject due to searching for more GT information. I'm searching because I've lost all faith in my WaterFurnce dealer completing a good installation. He has drilled one of four wells in one month. The one well he drilled was grouted but not by grount manufacturer specifications. Dealer blowed smoke up my you know what that it didn't need sand mixed with grout even if package says so! Lines exiting my house are next to window sill instead of down low so they can be hidden by a bush. Sloppy work! Ducts he installed failed independent inspection in all areas. One week later and no one has corrected anything; but he told me twice someone will be out within 24 hrs.

This house is a foam sealed house and the dealer insist on running an open return air system so I must also condition the attic to same temp. as living area. Yes, it is true I will have a conditioned area due to HVAC leakage but I didn't want to condition double the space! How is this going to same any energy?

If this is a vetted dealer for WaterFurnace then I've made a big mistake! I'm currently trying to figure how I can get out of this and find someone else to correct and complete the work. It's been one month and counting since he started and still three more wells to drill that he says will be started in two more weeks.

As far as I'm concerned I have the most dishonest HVAC contractor in Houston, TX. area and maybe the nation.

WaterFurnace how do you select dealers to sell and install your equipment?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bberry View Post
    Just found this subject due to searching for more GT information. I'm searching because I've lost all faith in my WaterFurnce dealer completing a good installation. He has drilled one of four wells in one month. The one well he drilled was grouted but not by grount manufacturer specifications. Dealer blowed smoke up my you know what that it didn't need sand mixed with grout even if package says so! Lines exiting my house are next to window sill instead of down low so they can be hidden by a bush. Sloppy work! Ducts he installed failed independent inspection in all areas. One week later and no one has corrected anything; but he told me twice someone will be out within 24 hrs.

This house is a foam sealed house and the dealer insist on running an open return air system so I must also condition the attic to same temp. as living area. Yes, it is true I will have a conditioned area due to HVAC leakage but I didn't want to condition double the space! How is this going to same any energy?

If this is a vetted dealer for WaterFurnace then I've made a big mistake! I'm currently trying to figure how I can get out of this and find someone else to correct and complete the work. It's been one month and counting since he started and still three more wells to drill that he says will be started in two more weeks.

As far as I'm concerned I have the most dishonest HVAC contractor in Houston, TX. area and maybe the nation.

WaterFurnace how do you select dealers to sell and install your equipment?
    Stop him imediatly then. Did you pay just a deposit thus far? Hopefully u didnt pay him in full yet.

Post Likes
    My envision has a leaky air coil as well. But I have a ten year warranty. Yes I am disappointed that this has happened. My installer did mention that the replacement coils are noticably heavier than the ones originally installed. I really hope I get 20 years or more out of this thing.

Post Likes
    Carrier.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crowl31 View Post
    I'm new here so please don't be to harsh if this is a repost or common knowledge to everyone else.

I'm about to start consturction in the spring on our new house (in Maryland) and I am setting appointments now with all subs and the only brand of geothermal system I can find is WaterFurnace Envision.

Who else has Geo Thermal systems?

Is there a site that has reviews/comparissions of the different systems.

Thanks!
    We install lots of Climate Masters. I have not seen any major problems with their equipment. The small issues that we have had were handled very easily & quickly by our local water furnace dealer.

Water furnace has had problems with air coils for years. They can't seem to get it right.

Just remember, most warrantees only cover parts, not labor.

Hope this helps.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes

Angry Envision

My new, green home is less than two years old (6000 sq.ft.). I have two Waterfurnace Envision units (3.5 ton and 5 ton) running 2 and 4 zones respectively. Both units stopped heating this winter and I had to run the propane fireplaces to keep the house warm until I could get the original contractor back in to check the units. They are telling me today that both units have leaking coils and will need to be replaced! So, needless to say I am NOT happy with Waterfurnace right now. I will be calling them tomorrow to see what, if anything they will do about this besides provide replacement parts under the warranty.

Unhappy Customer

Post Likes
    The most efficent Air conditioner in the world= Shade, natural air flow...Etc.

Other than that check this out

Solar produced, steam driven, double effect, parallel flow, 16 kW Broad BCT 16 absorption chiller

http://www.wbdg.org/research/buildingtechnology.php?a=1
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Post Likes
    FL green home,

We have read through your comments regarding your WaterFurnace units. We understand your concerns. If you will provide your model number, serial number, and the name of your installing contractor, we will request that the coils be sent back for testing.

WaterFurnace International, Inc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in