Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789
    Quote Originally Posted by dship View Post
    WFInc,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I find it to be disappointing and insufficient. Whatever the reason for WaterFurnace's coil failure problems, my experience (and the end result) is that your company has manufactured an unreliable HVAC unit. Two blower motors, a cracked and leaking drain pan, and now a coil have all failed in just over four years. However, it is your response to the coil issue that I find most troubling. Whether the issue is blamed on formicary corrosion due to the "air quality" in consumers' homes, poor manufacturing techniques, inadequate coatings, or just plain substandard copper, the fact remains that coil failure in a four year old unit is not normal wear and tear.
    In my job as an airline pilot, I fly with different crewmembers almost every time I work. We have hours to just talk about everything under the sun, and our experiences with cars, families, schools, and HOUSES are frequent topics of conversation. In the past, I have always extolled the virtues of geothermal HVAC because of the many benefits it offers. I will continue to do so, but will now have to recommend against purchasing a WaterFurnace unit.
    It is unfortunate that WaterFurnace has elected to go with the CYA approach and lose at least my future recommendations. Thankfully, my installer has agreed to take up your slack and cover the repair bill. Was it worth it?
    My husband also read the report on coil failures, epecially since we had repeated coil failures and just replaced two six year old systems for $30,000, not counting the thousands we spent to replace the coils last year. We replaced Paradise with Climatemaster.

My husband is a professor of Aerospace Engineering/Mechanical Engineering. His students work all over the world for major employers, including the Air Force, Navy, Army, and NASA.

I asked him what he thought about the coil failure report. He said in his opinion, it was a lame excuse--said the coils should be manufactured to withstand the residential environmental factors since that is where the systems are installed. He said if that were not possible, then every refrigerator in America would fail, since the coils on the fridge serve the same purpose. My fridge is over 15 years old, and still going strong.

But then again, that's only his opinion...

ChaseAir,

We believe you may be confusing Formicary Corrosion with Galvanic Corrosion. Galvanic Corrosion is when a galvanic current is produced by dissimilar metals. Formicary corrosion is caused by organic acids in contact with air and water, and is also much more aggressive.

Some manufacturers have used aluminum coils, and these coils have failed. We have been testing coils for years in order to find something that will prevent Formicary Corrosion. We are confident that our new coating process will prolong the life of our air coils. We continue to test other methods, just as other manufacturers are doing the same.

In regards to the indestructible coil you referenced, we would be interested to know what you are referring to, as we would rather not pay warranty dollars to replace these air coils. We continue to cover these coils under warranty, unlike other manufacturers.

In your post you stated that WaterFurnace does not pay their warranty in North Florida. Could you please be more specific? We are not aware of any claims that have been denied in North Florida.

WaterFurnace International, Inc.

dship,

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way and appreciate your position. WaterFurnace has been very forthcoming with our stance on Formicary Corrosion. This is an industry wide issue and is not a manufacturing defect; however, because we want to assist our customers, we have continued to cover these air coils under warranty. At this point, we have provided the replacement coil at no charge, as well as a labor allowance to your contractor per the terms and conditions of our published warranty. As you said your contractor did not charge you above and beyond the labor allowance. At this point, we are unsure how we can assist you further.

Quote Originally Posted by WF_Inc View Post
    dship,

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way and appreciate your position. WaterFurnace has been very forthcoming with our stance on Formicary Corrosion. This is an industry wide issue and is not a manufacturing defect; however, because we want to assist our customers, we have continued to cover these air coils under warranty. At this point, we have provided the replacement coil at no charge, as well as a labor allowance to your contractor per the terms and conditions of our published warranty. As you said your contractor did not charge you above and beyond the labor allowance. At this point, we are unsure how we can assist you further.

I must say that the WF warranty has been awesome and I have not had to pay a dime for my repairs. That being said, I am on my 6th coil in 8 years and the only problem has been, is being without a/c or heat until our contractor can get the parts to repair, which has been up to 3 weeks. I must say again WF has stood up to the plate and has done what is right. My question is this, what do I do when the warranty is up in 2 years if the coils continue to go bad. I can in no way afford $1500.00/year repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyTheTermite View Post
    I must say that the WF warranty has been awesome and I have not had to pay a dime for my repairs. That being said, I am on my 6th coil in 8 years and the only problem has been, is being without a/c or heat until our contractor can get the parts to repair, which has been up to 3 weeks. I must say again WF has stood up to the plate and has done what is right. My question is this, what do I do when the warranty is up in 2 years if the coils continue to go bad. I can in no way afford $1500.00/year repairs.
    Just replaced 2 waterfurnace coils, 2 txvs, and a main circuit board...envision split systems. Slow parts delivery, seems like they attempt to avoid actually paying the labor warranty. Coils, coils coils. Our former distributor told me....take it for what It's worth....that wf in his experience = 80% coil failure in Florida. Oh the two systems I fixed today were 2009. It's going to be a long ten years.

Over the years I haven't experienced a comparable failure rate on indoor or out door coils in a strictly commercial settings.

I have several accounts with large chilled water coils and DX coils that are subjected to a variety of chemicals that would, according to the Carrier pdf cause formicary corrosion and a eventual failure of the either chill water or DX copper tubes.

Some of these locations seem to constantly have new spaces being torn down and built back up with every manner of trade inducing their trade specific pollutants back into the common plenum return.

Add to that cleaning crews who throughout the day use products that according to the pdf file could contribute to premature tube failure. Some of these Dx and Chill water coils are going on 30 years of use old and then some. Throughout these spaces there are typically isolated DX splits installed for computer rooms, conference areas or any space that requires 24/7 cooling.

It's just not happening. I'm not nor have ever experienced a disproportionate amount of indoor coil refrigerant leaks. The overwhelming majority of leaks are caused by vibration, not by VOMs.

For two years I worked in the Petro-Chemical plants on process equipment and can't imagine a more destructive environment in terms of air pollution.

Sure some coils on the larger air cooled equipment were coated but your average comfort cooling install was a typical out of the box application and I don't remember a rash of coil failures,

SparkyTheTermite,

We are sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with your WaterFurnace equipment. Could you please provide your model and serial numbers so we may look into your inquiry further? If you do not wish to post this information publicly, please feel free to send us a private message.

ChaseAir,

Unfortunately, the information you have provided is very vague. Warranty claims are processed and shipped the same day they are received. In regards to your comments about not receiving a labor allowance, as previously stated, we would be very interested to have more information about this. If you will provide more specific information, we will be more than happy to look into your inquiry further. Please feel free to send us a private message if you do not wish to post this information publicly.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789