Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help me diagnose the problem pls.

Went on a "Little Cooling" call this morning. Overcharged was the initial diagnosis so i removed 8oz. of R22. This unit has always acted a little funny and I think there are more problems than 1. Would like to hear feed back. Got a call back today saying still little cooling. Customer wants House 74 and will only come down to 77 its 95 here in GA today. Has worked fine early this summer with temps in 100 degree range.

Water was 110 in and 118 out
    forgot to get indoor air out temp.

Water inlet temp looks awfully warm...

Sent directly from my thoughts using tinfoil antennas and a stainless steel mixing bowl helmet.

I was thinking the same thing. The only geothermal I've ever installed was a 2 ton and water temp would run about 85 degrees in.

This customer has a sister who lives next door with a similar system and her loop runs warm like that too. Too much freon in hers ( a few ounces!) and the compressor will over heat and take a 2 hr break, so its a balancing act between cooling the house and overheating the loop/compressor. Both loops are slinky style installed about 4 feet down and in sandy type soil. Both customers run sprinklers over the loops when the soil is dry to help the systems perform better. With no other systems to compare them to, it has me stumped. Its easy to say it needs more loop but a little harder to do the repair. Especially when these units have been working (allbeit not so well) for 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by FREEZYBREEZE View Post
    Went on a "Little Cooling" call this morning. Overcharged was the initial diagnosis so i removed 8oz. of R22. This unit has always acted a little funny and I think there are more problems than 1. Would like to hear feed back. Got a call back today saying still little cooling. Customer wants House 74 and will only come down to 77 its 95 here in GA today. Has worked fine early this summer with temps in 100 degree range.

Water was 110 in and 118 out
    forgot to get indoor air out temp.

That is some hot water, Have you amped the water pump, any way to verify proper water flow?

BTW whose app is that?
    "If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    efficientcomfort.net

I like the "beer can" reference for superheat

Sent from my van

Looks like a loop/pump problem. Air cooled could do as good/better as/than that loop is doing. The loop isn't doing its job.

The loop sounds kind of shallow for Georgia, my Dad's loop is 7 feet down in clay...
    But that is in NC, what is the standard for that region in sandy soil?

Sent from my van

The system has a double pump set up and an amp check says they are working the way they should. I would guess the loop setup is incorrect also. What would those of you who work on alot of these expect a proper loop temp to be. The system is a 4 ton BTW.

The system has probably never worked exactly the way it should. The home owner even has faucets (placed there by the original system installer in hopes to make it cool) 1 faucet lets cold water in (pump and dump style) from the homeowners well. The homeowner knows way to many tricks to keep this thing cooling.

The app is HVACbuddy for iPhone and android. Its awesome. All of my techs and installers have it for their phone. Very good way to check and verify the charge in any type of system.

Max inlet temp should be around 90

Sent from my van

The loop i installed on the 2 ton was 6 feet down 2 feet wide run out, fill with 2 ft of dirt and returned to header pit and then covered up. After about 3 feet down the soil will start to be a mix of sand and clay. Mostly sand.

[QUOTE=Danielandersen2;19015061]I like the "beer can" reference for superheat

I didn't get that at first but then I looked at the icons on the app, saw the beer mug, and it clicked. I use the app everyday so it took me a minute. The app is very cool. Especially for new techs. We always refer to the manufacturers recommended subcooling, but when its not available the app gets the charge spot on.

loop is too hot. You should probably do pressure in and pressure out to make sure the pumps are actually pumping, if there is a broken shaft the pump will still show amperage but not be pumping. Around here (Ohio) I design the loop never to be warmer than 85 degrees, when we start digging and find sandy soil we have to recalculate the loop, We bury them 5-6 feet here and I am not a fan of the slinky loop. Lots of people put them in and have no problems, I just have not bought in to them

Thats another thing. This loop isn't sealed or pressurized. It has a reservoir. usually the top is off of it and sometimes the homeowner puts ice in to cool the loop. He says its never been pressurized.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast