Hybrid View

Hean & Glo CERONA-42

I have a customer that has a GEM-42 gas fireplace made by Heat & Glo that ignites sometimes, and sometimes not. When it does not lite, there is no gas or spark to the pilot.

I've verified 110VAC to the junction box and that there is 2.9v going into the module from the transformer. The wall switches will not turn on the unit, but the local switches sometimes allow the system to operate. Would the module, if bad, operate sometimes?

I have the troubleshooting tips from the installer's manual, but that isn't much help. Where can I obtain a troubleshooting flow chart with voltages at the different terminals? It may be a wiring issue because it is a rat's nest of wiring under there.

Feel free to email me at

Thanks guys !!!
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-02-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Removed email address

Is it a GEM or a Cerona?

That GEM unit should have an upgrade kit applied to it which has a timer delay built in for the burner ignition. The pilot must be on 3-5 mins before the burner will ignite.

Check your email

The ID tag says GEM, but I didn't find any info on the GEM and when I searched GEM, the results came back cerona. I didn't know there was a difference.

The upgrade, is that in reference to the recall that was issued? I am not sure if this unit has been upgraded yet.

Got your email and replied, a 1000 thanks !!!

Put your email address in your profile, not in post.
    Bots scan for them. And slow the system down once they find one.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Cool

You can contact HG Tech Support with the serial number of that unit and they can tell you if it was officially converted under the recall or not. This kit includes reinforcement for the glass front as well as the delay on make timer function. There is a special sticker that should be present down below.

Hearthman