Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    We have a tricky situation here...

On the one hand, killing a police officer is a grave offense and should carry a stiffer price IMO.

On the other hand... officers tend to 'protect' each other...

The question I ask is: Why was the perp not brought to trial... sure it saves some $$$... BUT: How do we know this was indeed THE one who killed the officers (throw down victim)? We really only have some circumstantial evidence and the word of the officers...

And just for the conspiracy crowd: How do we know one or two of the officers killed may not have been about to blow the whistle on someone higher up...

When justice is done outside the courtroom... too many questions are left un-answered. Not a good thing IMO.

One last comment: When a verdict of guilty is reached in a courtroom, the sentence should be swift and painful for the convicted person. The purpose of being tried and convicted is to arrange a price to be paid (not monetary, rather life restricting price) for a crime... If the criminal does not 'get a message' to change their attitude and ways... the system has failed.
    Good points made. The police were real quick to make the statement very early on in this incident that "we may never know why this guy killed these cops". Maybe the police don't want anyone to know why.

So now we have a lone officer kills this guy while investigating a stolen vehicle charge. So, we have one persons testimony as to what happened. Will be interesting to see what physical evidence is provided for the reason that officer had to kill the suspect.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Robo, I am in a city of over 600,000 and the only beat officers I see are downtown and thats more of a PR jesture during the week so the office workers feel safe going to and from work and at lunch.

Back in the 50's when the police radio car first came out the idea was to allow officers to patrol more times in their assigned area than they could do on foot, and also have backup without having to find a call box. As we see now, its evolved into officers going from call to call without having any community contact. I beleive its called "drive by policing".

After hearing the local police dispatch on a scanner a few months ago, I don't know if they could go back to the beat officer concept. Too many calls for service all over the place and not enough officers.

Quote Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
    I beleive its called "drive by policing".

After hearing the local police dispatch on a scanner a few months ago, I don't know if they could go back to the beat officer concept. Too many calls for service all over the place and not enough officers.
    IMO what we have lost is a sense of community where the police officer is PART of the community! If the officers were at the local church, involved in the local charity drive, helping with the local litter patrol offtime... we would know them and trust them...

H*ll, when they are directing traffic around a broken light and I wave at them... they make eye contact and look away... sure builds a lot of trust there.

IMO there is an 'us vs them' attitude with the police... not a good thing for the citizens IMO. Not sure how to 'take back our country' with this going on... sure hope it will change though.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

I have to agree with ga-tech. Police have isolated themselves from the community. They have gone from a "protect and serve" position to a "watch over and acuse" stance. That tv show Cops shows just how arrogant and overbearing police have become. Like ga-tech, I address police officers in public only to most times be snubbed by them. I even got nasty with one officer in a 7-11 for ignoring my morning pleasantries. I have lost a lot of respect for police officers and do not trust most of them any longer.

This incident already has enough going on to be made into a movie of the week. If we find out that the police had done something to this guy to make him go off the way he did or if this guy was hired to silence police officers who were going to blow the whistle on someone higher up, it'll be a real blockbuster.

I have to agree with ga-tech and Robo about the police attitudes. I wonder if comes from the police hiring practices.

In our city you have to have a university education and go through the police academy before you go on the street.

Most of the rural areas around the city just want warm bodies to fill a uniform. That means you get the Deputy Fife types that don't relate to the public well and abuse their power.

If you ever get a change to read it there is a book called the "The Blue Wall" by Carsten Stroud and its a look at Canadian Police Attitudes towards the public from about 10 different officers views. I am sure the attitudes are not much different in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Four police officers, all in a row, evidently a usual hangout for them. This lets criminal minds know where the police are at certain times, which cannot be a good thing for police or the safety of those the police are supposed to serve and protect.
    I'm sure Seattle had more then 4 officers on duty at that time.

I can show you the restaurant that has 6 to 12 officers in it, around lunch time in Lanc city, every day during the week.

Beats aren't done(here). So people can't get an idea of a patrol time. And make their plans around a set time.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I'm sure Seattle had more then 4 officers on duty at that time.

I can show you the restaurant that has 6 to 12 officers in it, around lunch time in Lanc city, every day during the week.

Beats aren't done(here). So people can't get an idea of a patrol time. And make their plans around a set time.
    Hey, cops have to eat too. The four slain cops were not on a break, they were all allegedly working. When the police start looking and behaving like gangs by all hanging out together, who is doing the serving and protecting? Are the police our guardians or our guards?

Hey, cops have to eat too. The four slain cops were not on a break, they were all allegedly working. When the police start looking and behaving like gangs by all hanging out together, who is doing the serving and protecting? Are the police our guardians or our guards?
    They were 4 officers doing their paper work. Doesn't matter that they were in a public place.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    They were 4 officers doing their paper work. Doesn't matter that they were in a public place.
    I have the right to think it doesn't look right and I have the right to think they could do better for public image if they spread out a little.

Just my opinion, and I have a right to express it.

I have the right to think it doesn't look right and I have the right to think they could do better for public image if they spread out a little.

Just my opinion, and I have a right to express it.
    And they had the right to do their paper work where they were. And not be killed.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
    I have to agree with ga-tech and Robo about the police attitudes. I wonder if comes from the police hiring practices.
    The older officers that you talk to say that "criminal" that they deal with today has changed. There are more "animals" you have to deal with. Whether it is upbringing or drugs or both. On top of that More people have NO respect at all for the police.

This tread has me thinking and I will asked if a "police attitude" is taught in the academy or is it a learned response from the streets???
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    The older officers that you talk to say that "criminal" that they deal with today has changed. There are more "animals" you have to deal with. Whether it is upbringing or drugs or both. On top of that More people have NO respect at all for the police.

This tread has me thinking and I will asked if a "police attitude" is taught in the academy or is it a learned response from the streets???
    Well, I for one have lost respect for the police overall. There have been many individual officers who I have encountered who are decent, but the overall attitude of police today sucks.

In my youth, police I encountered while doing youthful wrongs were downright physical with us, but not in an abusive way. I've been rapped upside the head, yanked by the arm etc. by police who I respected because they actually respected me. There was a relationship between the police and the community that is not there today.

Like the Lakewood chief says "we will always look differently at people entering a coffee shop we are using, because of this". I don't think that is right. We should be the ones nervous around them. 9 times out of 10, they kill, not get killed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast