Thread: YCWL end bells

YCWL end bells

Anyone know of a reason why the condenser end bells on a York YCWL can't be swapped end to end? The question has the local Johnson/York rep stumped.
    Don't let your ego get in the way of a good decision

Just by looking at the Condenser refrigerant piping and the way Condenser water connections are that woud be my reason for not allowing the swap they build it for a reason that way.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Perhaps the rifling in the tubes. I can't see how that would make a tremendous difference, but it is something to consider, right?

If they have enhanced tubes yes but not all Chillers do , im not the engineer who designed it but there has to be a method to there madness and there reasoning
    mud.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !

This has been going on for quite some time. Had one several years ago that needed to be swapped to facilitate piping, and I was told no by the factory. When I asked why, all I got was a blank stare (if you can get a blank stare over the phone). Never did get an answer. I told 'em that there was no possible way that it could make a difference, and that if we got the job, we would swap them and all would be ok. Unfortunately, we didn't get the job, so I can't say for sure............

Quote Originally Posted by york56 View Post
    If they have enhanced tubes yes but not all Chillers do , im not the engineer who designed it but there has to be a method to there madness and there reasoning
    This has only been going on since jci took over, so are you sure "method" has anything to do with it, and it's not just madness?

Madness yes because there is more of the deer in the head light stare then ever before.
    mud.

Except for enhanced tubes, I can't think of any reason why a flooded cooler would care which direction the water was going.

On some Trane units endbells can't be switched because of our active oil return system. Oil will migrate towards the cooler temperature. The bolt patterns on the endbells are different so they can't be swapped. RTWD 134a Screw chiller.

There is no heat transfer reason that inhibits the exchange of the water boxes on the condenser, as long as you keep the condenser water inlet on the bottom and the outlet on top. The reason you can΄t do it physically, is that the tubes in the horizontal center of the closed water box side are not even with the tube sheet. The separation sheet welded inside between condenser water in and outlet would interfere with the condenser tube overlap.

Entropie
    "Quality exists, when the price is long forgotten."

Henry Royce